Full-Time Technical Theatre Teacher/Technical Director Position
A. W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts
West Palm Bch, FL 33401
TECHNICAL THEATRE FACULTY POSITION
The Alexander W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts in West Palm Beach, Florida is seeking a full-time technical theatre teacher to begin January 2021.
The award winning DSOA Theatre Department takes pride in educating the next generation of theatre artists. Our mission is to provide students with the comprehensive theatre arts studies and practical experiences necessary to enter prestigious college, university and conservatory programs as well as the professional industry. Based upon a track system, students audition for admittance into the department in Acting, Musical Theatre, or Technical Theatre. DSOA Theatre annually produces both a straight play and a musical in our mainstage theatre, a straight play and a musical in our black box theatre, as well as several student showcases. Our rich history over more than 25 years includes alumni that have been seen on Broadway, Film/TV, national tours, cruise ships, and regional theatres across the country. Graduates of DSOA Theatre are consistently accepted into the top theatre programs at the conservatory and university level.
The available position functions as the Technical Director for DSOA Theatre’s production season, teaches 5 classes, mentors student productions, manages the scene shop, is responsible for tool and equipment maintenance and replacement, ensures safety in all technical activities, oversees hang and focus, and exhibits a willingness to collaborate and communicate with students and colleagues. The TD also handles scene shop paperwork, purchase requisitions, coordinates strikes for productions, and manages shop inventory. This faculty position supervises students enrolled in technical theatre courses and trains students in proper tool operation and construction techniques. Significant professional experience is preferred. This is a full-time position employed by the Palm Beach County School District. This employee must be eligible for or willing to promptly pursue certification as a secondary teacher as specified by the Florida Department of Education.
Candidates must have a minimum of three years supervisory experience in a scene shop or properties shop; knowledge of set and property construction, theatrical carpentry, metal work, tool maintenance, local and industry safety standards, the ability to read working drawings and construction drawings. Knowledge of rigging is also desired. Candidate should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong organizational and collaborative skills, and a commitment to theatrical training.
· Teach five classes in theatrical construction and design
· Supervise design and construction on department productions and showcases
· Mentor students for festivals, competitions and college portfolio interviews
· Adjudicate jury exams and freshman admission auditions
· Work collaboratively with faculty in production and curriculum development
· Assist in growing and building our guest artist series of master classes
· Communicate goals and needs to students and families of the department
· Mentor, encourage, and nurture young talent at varying stages of growth
· BA/BFA in Technical Theatre, Production or Theatre Studies
· Strong evidence of teaching young artists (high school or college teaching experience preferred)
· Significant professional training and experience in theatre
· Substantial experience in technical direction, design and construction of musical theatre and straight theatre at the professional and educational level
· Ability and desire to work with teenagers in a fast-paced and rigorous theatre program
· Bonus specialties in lighting, sound, AutoCAD, projection design, cutting-edge theatre technology a plus
Please email the following as soon as possible to email@example.com:
1) Letter of intent outlining skills and appropriateness for the position
2) Current CV including teaching and professional experience
3) Contact information for three references who can speak to your professional expertise and ability to teach theatre students
January 4, 2021 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to 00000176-2905-d25e-adf7-ab776c4b0000…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.