Executive Director – Art Center, Sarasota
Art Center – Sarasota
Sarasota, FL 34236
Executive Director Job Posting
Art Center Sarasota’s mission is to provide Sarasota with opportunities for creative expression and art appreciation through art education, exhibitions, and cultural programs. The Art Center (www.artsarasota.org) is on the threshold of an exciting future. Located in the downtown hub of a strong, art centric community, with the support of an enthusiastic board of directors, the new executive director will have the opportunity to build upon its 100 year history while shaping a new, strategic direction forward. At his or her fingertips will be a community that delights in the visual arts with a strong interest and desire to see the Art Center extend its reach while continuing to be open and accessible to all. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to use their creativity, imagination, and leadership experience to grow and enhance the programs in new and different directions. Opportunities abound for expanding the Art Center’s impact, by developing additional programs in various art mediums; engaging all generations in art centric activities; collaborating with other local and national arts organizations; and leveraging the exciting development of The Bay project (www.thebaysarasota.org), in which the Art Center is centrally located.
The Executive Director leads all aspects of the organization while engaging actively with the community, donors, and other art centric organizations. The current program offerings include art education, with a robust annual calendar of workshops and training programs taught by nationally and locally renowned artists; solo shows which bring the talent of individual artists to the community, to both view and purchase their works of art; inventive programs for school age children to develop their talents and their love of the arts; juried shows and exhibits, engaging the local community to contribute their works of art in a meaningful way; and, developing collaborations with arts centric organizations. The Art Center offers a membership program with 700 current members, and provides multiple opportunities to volunteers to contribute their skills and talents to the organization. The education and exhibition programs aim to assist both the general public and the specialist in experiencing the power of art and in attaining knowledge and appreciation of works of art.
Our new executive director will have a passion for art and will appreciate art’s power to make a positive impact. Ideally, they will bring broad leadership and professional experience with the best qualities of a business and creative mindset.
The Executive Director serves as the Art Center’s leader in the development and critical assessment of innovative, multifaceted, and effective educational and public programs, with the goal of establishing a leadership position for the Art Center in Sarasota county. The Executive Director’s role is to improve services and diversify audiences for Art Center offerings. They will build strong relationships across the region to collaborate and develop educational initiatives and programs to engage the community in the arts. The Executive Director oversees an annual operating budget of approximately $750k (pre-Covid), combining membership fees, sales of art works, donations, plus city and state grants.
– Minimum education – Bachelor’s degree.
– The successful candidate must show evidence of leadership and accomplishment in the advanced skills of effective management of small- and large-scale, short-and long-term projects, as well as supervision of key stakeholders, people and programs.
– They must demonstrate resourcefulness in maximizing existing resources, as well as the ability to inspire and articulate the need for their expansion, when appropriate.
– They must demonstrate strong interest in furthering a passion for art for a diverse public, and an ease in communicating with the key stakeholders.
– They must have demonstrated knowledge of evaluative techniques, and the interpretation and use of data for program correction and development.
– They must be a willing team member with the board in the effort to establish the Art Center as a leader in innovative and inclusive art education and public programming.
– They must be an excellent communicator, goal-oriented, decisive, collaborative and strategic in managing systems and resources.
– They must embrace change while understanding that it should be introduced with respect for what came before.
– Successful resource development, fundraising and philanthropy experiences.
– Strong analytical and technical skills.
– A solid knowledge of accounting, budgeting, financial management and marketing.
The Art Center is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, artists, contractors, volunteers, and members of our community.
Location of position: 707 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34236
Salary and benefits:
Commensurate with experience.
To apply please submit:
· Cover Letter
· Three References (references will be contacted during the final round of interviews)
Submit Applications to: EDSearchArtCenter@gmail.com
Application deadlines: We will accept applications until the position is filled.
December 3, 2020 – January 3, 2021
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to 00000176-2985-dc86-a77e-efef010a0000…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.