Interim Artistic Director
Brooklyn, NY 11225
The Rebel Playhouse, a 501(c)(3) non-profit theater company, produces plays for children and families that break traditions and challenge normative thinking. Our mission is to Empower, Educate and Entertain. We challenge and rebel against established stories, igniting children’s imaginations, empowering them to think outside the box and create their own stories. Rebel also offers classes designed to foster creative development. We are an equal-opportunity employer, actively seeking to promote and implement equity and inclusion through gender, age and color-conscious casting. Our company is people-centric, always putting our patrons and those who work for us first.
Rebel Playhouse is seeking an inspiring and visionary Interim Artistic Director (AD) or Artistic Direction Collaborative to achieve the company’s mission.
This position will begin as a year-long installment from January 2021 through December 2021 with potential for more permanent work.
Working with the Board of Directors, the AD will develop a forward-looking vision that both increases audiences, deepens their engagement with Rebels, and develops future audiences. Confronting current challenges, the AD will consider new and innovative platforms for performances and education.
With bold aspirations for the future, AD will lead Rebels to a new level of engagement with audiences and increase Rebel Playhouse’s impact.
– Season planning
– Virtual programming
– Developing artistic relationships and partnerships
– Identifying core communities
– Build neighborhood-based and/or community-based partnerships
– Outreach with schools, community centers, etc.
Company Management & Strategic Planning:
– Work with Board to develop annual fiscal budget
– Look toward both virtual and in-person programming
– Inclusive and strategic leadership, vision, collaboration and team building
– Experience with equity and anti-racist frameworks (academic, community, personal, or otherwise)
– Knowledge and experience of TYA (Theater for Young Audiences)
– Knowledge and experience of innovative theater platforms (specifically virtual)
– Knowledge of Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, etc)
– Passion for quality theater for young people
– Desire to tell a wide range of stories that center on diverse people and experiences
– Energy and vision to take on a company in transition
– Flexibility and ability to pivot amidst uncertainty
– Consistent communication with the Board (response to emails)
– Ability to delegate
Rebel Playhouse is an emerging theater currently in its first five years of operation. This position is designed for an early career artist who is interested in running a fully established nonprofit theater and skipping the paperwork & costs associated with starting a new company. To start, we can offer $15/hr for an anticipated 5-10 hours of work weekly, but would expect to see payment and time commitment grow as the company grows.
How to Apply
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé with the email subject REBELS INTERIM AD APPLICATION no later than Friday, December 11th, 2020 to: email@example.com
Rebel Playhouse is an equal-opportunity employer committed to reflecting New York City’s diversity. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Although Rebel Playhouse is based in New York, this interim position is open as a remote work opportunity to candidates located elsewhere.
January 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to info…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.