Irondale Center Seeking Submissions for On Women Festival
Brooklyn, NY 11233
ON WOMEN FESTIVAL 2021
WE’RE CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS!
During the month of March, when women are celebrated and honored all around the world, Irondale hosts the On Women Festival, giving female-identifying artists the platform to celebrate their own experiences. Created in 2018, each iteration of this festival has been different and unique, just like the creators and the shows that are part of it.
For next year’s festival, we have the challenge of re-imagining how to offer good theatrical experiences to our audiences, that are relevant to today’s world, and that are safe for everyone involved. And we must do things differently as well, to make sure we’re uplifting and empowering the voices of marginalized artists.
The 2021 edition will be a hybrid format, with in-person performances, live and pre-recorded videos, and Irondale will work closely with a diverse group of artists to help curate the festival and moderate the Artists Exchange panel discussions.
WHAT WILL THE FESTIVAL LOOK LIKE?
- MAINSTAGE: two different theatrical productions will be selected with the assistance of a diverse group of curators. The plays will be performed and recorded at The Space at Irondale (with the possibility of a limited live audience for the recordings) and streamed online at specific dates and times, followed by virtual talkbacks with the creative team of each production.
- Selected Shows will be compensated with a $1,000 fee.
- (Accessibility: Closed captions)
- NEW MEDIA STORYTELLING: this category is open for video submissions of short pieces (between 10-25 minutes) that present elements of theatrical storytelling. All videos will live on an online platform and the audience will vote on their favorites. This category will not be curated but we will offer four money prizes (1st, 2nd and 3rd places for Popular Vote, and Curator’s Pick). We want to make sure we’re giving an alternative for people who don’t feel safe leaving their homes, or artists who are developing work using new media, or even artists who are in different places in the world.
- ART BUFFET: live online performances that are flexible in style and genre such as, but not limited to, improv, music, performance, scripted monologue. All content must be original (or an original adaptation), and artists may choose to perform solo or with one other person. These performances will be curated and we’ll select up to 10 pieces.
- ARTISTS EXCHANGE: led and moderated by our Guest Curators, each one of the three conversations will have a theme or topic for discussion, and guest panelists. Audience members will be invited to participate by asking questions or sharing opinions.
We are looking for female-identifying artists that show great passion for their work, and that are able to coherently justify why their work is so important now. Irondale makes no distinction based on ethnicity or cultural background.
Do you want to be part of the festival? Read the Submissions Package below on our website and submit your work!
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
November 11, 2020 – March 31, 2021
HOW TO APPLY