Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
Brooklyn, NY 11217
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
BAM is currently seeking an experienced Finance Manager with hands on experience in driving change and developing accounting function. Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Senior Accounting Manager supervises a staff of two and plays a key role in managing accounting functions for the organization. The responsible areas include overseeing and managing effective operation of accounting process and reporting of accounts payable, accounts receivable, banking, cash management, investment accounting, fixed asset accounting and insurance. The qualified candidate will ensure the appropriate system of internal controls are in line with the best practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee daily operation of A/P function. Supervise weekly processing of A/P disbursements while maintaining accuracy and internal controls. Monitor A/P aging and prioritize payments. Review printing of checks and uploads of positive and virtual payments weekly.
- Initiate wire and ACH payments weekly. The work includes monitoring and processing forward contract drawdowns and payments of withheld income for artists from abroad.
- Respond to inquiries from internal stakeholders across the organization regarding disbursements.
- Oversee monthly processing of corporate card expenses. Perform uploads of card charge data into Multiview financial software.
- Serve as administrator and manage corporate credit card accounts, including issuing cards and handling disputes.
- Oversee operation of A/R function. Supervise daily/weekly deposits of checks and cash, processing of credit card payments and processing of monthly invoicing. Review and monitor timely collections of payments.
- Oversee management of petty cash, cash advances and travel advances. Review and monitor appropriate handling of cash.
- Oversee monthly recording of BET investment activities. Review and verify journal entries and an investment rollforward schedule.
- Monitor banking activities on a daily basis. Prepare a daily cash report for all bank accounts. Oversee daily clearing of checks. Serve as liaison with banks and resolve disputes and discrepancies.
- Perform journal entries for daily banking activities, daily box office transactions and box office close-outs in Multiview financial software.
- Perform weekly uploads of payroll data into Multiview financial software. Complete quarterly reconciliation of the General Ledger to payroll reports and IRS Form 941.
- Prepare weekly reports for cash outflows and inflows from earned revenue and other misc. cash receipts.
- Oversee and perform accurate and timely reconciliation and trial balance review for accounts in the managing areas while adhering to the accounting calendar. Including review of monthly bank reconciliation.
- Oversee, review and prepare PBC schedules for accounts in the managing areas for an annual financial audit. Assist with audit fieldwork and post-fieldwork testing.
- Manage and record Fixed Assets annually.
- Manage and record accrued and pre-paid expenses annually, including tracking subsequent payments, making adjustment entries and maintaining master schedules.
- Improve operational efficiencies and effectiveness in the managing areas. Including business process improvements and financial system functionality enhancements.
- Manage a staff of two, including hiring and terminating, training, supervising, coaching, performance evaluation, and on-going professional development support. Redesign jobs and re-allocate resources as needed.
- Consistently deliver high-quality team product. Team building and problem solving in a fast-paced environment. Manage resources and set priorities for the team, including short and medium-term strategic planning.
- Manage a full range of insurance matters for BAM and BET while serving as key liaison with an insurance brokerage firm. The work includes but is not limited to: annual renewal of insurance policies, annual Worker’s Compensation audit, bi-annual TULIP reporting, COI requests and insurance claims.
- Oversee accurate and timely annual filing of 1099-Misc and 1042-S Forms
- Oversee and resolve credit card payment issues with all POS channels.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience. CPA license preferred and auditing experience, as well as non-profit experience, are strongly preferable.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience with the ability to develop and manage staff for excellent teamwork, respectful environment, continual improvement, and high-quality team products.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication with the ability to build effective relationships and work with colleagues at all levels across different sections.
- Capable of managing multiple work streams under pressure with tight timelines in a fast-paced environment. Including the ability to manage stressful situations.
- A high level of integrity and ethical standards; excellent attention to detail, organization and accuracy.
- Experience with GL, A/P, A/R, Workflow functionalities of Multiview financial software or similar is a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Suites; proficiency in MS Excel, including macro, pivot tables, advanced formulas and formatting.
Pay: Salary commensurate with experience. This position is full-time exempt and BAM offers a full benefits package including medical, dental and vision care, employer-paid life insurance and pension.
Application Instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM’s website – no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Brooklyn Academy of Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BAM recognizes that historic institutional practices lead to a non-inclusive environment and is working to address diversity and inclusion in all forms. Individuals in BAM are experiencing their own pace during this process, which is not uncommon when addressing power and privilege. The Finance department supports and continues to take part in this process.
HOW TO APPLY