Director of Major Gifts
Brooklyn, NY 11217
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
BAM is currently seeking a Director of Major Gifts to oversee all individual giving 10k+, including the Artist Circle, President’s Circle, and the Young Producers. Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Major Gifts & Patron Programs, the Director of Major Gifts supervises major gifts and managers a robust portfolio while charged with building a pipeline and securing individual gifts at a variety of levels $10k+. The Director of Major Gifts also assists in cultivating major donors through planned giving as well as playing a critical role in helping to reach BAM’s program goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities for the Director of Finance, Planning & Analysis
- Maintain own portfolio of donors targeted to give $10k+ and meet specified goals for number of prospects, meetings and other touch points as defined
- Design and implement strategies for acquiring, renewing, and upgrading donors at the $10k+ level
- Write solicitation letters, appeals, proposals, and special campaign materials as appropriate
- Work with Special Events & Individual Giving team to conceptualize cultivation events, especially for prospects, Artist Circle+ and Young Producers.
- Provide strategic guidance to major gift officers
- Manager major gift pipeline development and movement
- Manage BAM Young Producers Leadership Council
- Plan, lead and direct staff’s work to achieve goals and objectives within established budgets and timelines.
- Cultivate and maintain strong donor relationships and rapport with internal and external stakeholders.
- Share knowledge, time, and expertise to assist Development team members and other Department staff.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 7+ years demonstrated fundraising experience, specifically with individual high-level donors, performing arts experience a plus
- Demonstrated track record at the major giving level.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with a superior attention to detail and ability to multitask in a fast pace environment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet goals.
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude, strong work ethic, and high degree of professionalism
- Successful experience managing others, and strong ability to recruit, orient, train, mentor, and motivate staff who support development goals.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and fundraising database management skills (Tessitura experience is preferred)
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Proven experience as a successful team member.
- Ability to effectively communicate BAM goals and mission to external parties
- Ability to work independently and enjoys collaborating in a team environment.
- Ability to work remotely
Pay: Salary commensurate with experience. This position is full-time exempt and BAM offers a full benefits package including medical, dental and vision care, employer-paid life insurance and pension.
Application Instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM’s website – no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Brooklyn Academy of Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BAM recognizes that historic institutional practices lead to a non-inclusive environment and is working to address diversity and inclusion in all forms. Individuals in BAM are experiencing their own pace during this process, which is not uncommon when addressing power and privilege. The Facilities department supports and continues to take part in this process.
HOW TO APPLY