New Jersey Poetry Out Loud Program Coordinator
Mayo Performing Arts Center
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate to coordinate and support the New Jersey Poetry Out Loud program.
Poetry Out Loud (POL) is a partnership of the National Endowment for the Arts, The Poetry Foundation, and the state arts agencies of the United States. It is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry by offering free educational materials and a dynamic recitation competition for high school students across the country. This program helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence, and learn about literary history and contemporary life.
In New Jersey, this program is carried out through a partnership between Mayo Performing Arts Center (MPAC) and the New Jersey State Council on the Arts (State Arts Council), in collaboration with regional arts partners. The program starts at the classroom/school or at the local level with an area organization. Winners then may advance to a regional and state competition, and ultimately to the national finals in Washington, DC.
More information about the program can be found at www.njpol.org.
The NJPOL Coordinator implements that program and reports to Co-Directors at MPAC and the State Arts Council. The Coordinator will also work closely with regional partners, school administrators, teachers, teaching artists, and students. Because of the many partners involved in the program, strong organizational, communication (both verbal and written), and collaboration skills are essential.
A successful candidate has a positive track record of project management, adhering to budgetary constraints and deadlines. Candidate is self-directed and able to work efficiently with minimal supervision, monitoring program activities and goals, and communicating with stakeholders as needed.
Due to COVID-19, the NJPOL program will be held virtually for the 2020-21 season, providing a unique opportunity for the NJPOL Coordinator to assist in the implementation of this state-wide poetry recitation program in a virtual setting.
- Hold 3-5 years of experience in project management, education program administration or other relevant experience
- Hold 1-3 years of experience producing or coordinating live or virtual events
- Possess a collegial and collaborative spirit, display flexibility and prioritize effectively
- Demonstrate the capacity to work effectively with co-directors, collaborate with staff and oversee the operational and financial well-being of a program
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrate knowledge of and the ability to work fluidly with technology including MS Office Suite with advanced Excel skills, social media and web design tools
- Ability and willingness to travel in New Jersey. Possessing a driver’s license and a car is recommended but not required. Mileage is reimbursed
- This is a 35-hour per week salaried position which offers paid vacation time, generous paid holidays, and medical benefits
- Salary Range: $40K – $42K
Responsibilities and Duties:
● Manage and maintain program database using customer relationship software and cloud-based file system
● Maintain and enhance a system for communication with regional partners, facilitators, school administrators, teachers, teaching artists, students, and the general public about program updates, requirements, deadlines, etc.
● Collaborate with the MPAC and State Arts Council Marketing & Communications team for marketing and outreach efforts including social media digital content, print media, newsletters and, website presence to promote program awareness and visibility
● Collaborate with the MPAC staff to complete grant-related requirements including grant writing, reporting, budgeting and evaluation
NJPOL Contest & Workshops
● Create and manage program timeline including competitions, workshops, and state finals
● Coordinate professional development workshops for NJPOL facilitators and participating teachers
● Assist with regional competitions managed by the regional partners and production partners
● Coordinate and manage all aspects of the NJPOL State Finals
● Assist with recruitment and training of contest judges
● Represent NJPOL at events and meetings, as applicable
● In conjunction with NJPOL leadership, draft and disseminate contracts with vendors, venues, teaching artists, competition judges, regional partners, and guest entertainment.
● The NJ Poetry Out Loud Coordinator position is co-directed by two entities, MPAC and the State Arts Council.
● The Coordinator shall be an employee of MPAC and as such, follow all human resources guidelines outlined by MPAC
● Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position is REMOTE until further notice in accordance with State of NJ health and safety protocols. The primary office location for the Coordinator is the NJ State Council on the Arts, 33 West State Street, Trenton.
● The position is 35 hours per week. Minimum of 7 hours per day.
● A willingness and ability to travel long distances within the state may be required. Out of state travel may be required after June 2021 in accordance with State of NJ health and safety protocols.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Cathy Roy, Arts Education Director at Mayo Performing Arts Center, by email to: email@example.com with the subject line: NJPOL Coordinator. No phone calls please. Deadline for applications is November 13, 2020 and the anticipated start date is November 30, 2020.
November 30, 2020 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to croy…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.