Director of Business Affairs
The Dramatists Guild of America
New York, NY 10036
The Dramatists Guild of America was established in 1919 to help dramatists protect the artistic and economic integrity of their work and to advocate on their behalf. The Guild has over 8,000 members nationwide, from student writers to the most prominent authors being produced on Broadway, Off-Broadway and in regional theaters. The Guild assists dramatists in developing both their artistic and business skills through its educational programs, publications, seminars, workshops, and its Business Affairs department, which provides model agreement forms, reviews contracts, and offers business advice on standard practices in the theater industry. The Dramatists Guild of America is seeking a licensed attorney to serve as Director of Business Affairs. The Director of Business Affairs will report to the Executive Director of Business Affairs and will directly serve the membership. The ideal candidate has a background in copyright and/or IP law and is self-motivated, professional, capable of prioritizing, and has an eye for detail.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to: providing business advice to members, reviewing contracts and updating industry guidelines as needed, and educating members on business standards.
The Director of Business Affairs will:
· Review with members the pertinent principles of law related to authorship of dramatic works, including intellectual property, contracts, privacy/publicity/defamation, collaboration, and free expression
· Review with members pertinent business standards related to their theatrical work, including: i. Analysis and assessment of member contracts relative to industry standards; ii. Addressing member concerns and disputes regarding breaches of contract, alleged infringements, delinquent payments, representation, collaboration, and such related matters by: 1. Corresponding with involved parties to achieve resolution, where possible; 2. Referring members to DG mediation, as required, and Participate in member mediations, as needed.
· Write BA-related articles and blurbs to educate membership
· Write and update model contracts and guidelines, as needed
· Strategize and implement new BA services and programs for members
· Liaison with Theater Affiliates, including review of entries in Resource Directory to ensure that Affiliates are in compliance with applicable Guild standards
· Oversee BA Associate and legal interns
· Participate in BA seminars, panels, events, etc., as needed; and
· Consult with Council and committees, as needed.
· J.D. and NY Bar certification (or obtaining certification within first year of employment),
· Familiarity with legal principles regarding contracts, copyright, fair use, privacy, and free expression (familiarity with theater industry business practices a plus),
· Proficiency with legal research and writing,
· Excellent organizational and time management skills,
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills,
· Strong interpersonal communication skills,
· Knowledge of MS Office, and
· Familiarity with online CRM tools (like Zoho) a plus.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary: $65-$70K, plus benefits package
The Dramatists Guild of America is committed to exposing and eliminating the systemic biases that exist in all aspects of our field. We commit to doing this both within our own organization and with advocacy throughout our field. We take on this commitment on behalf of the plurality of our membership whose career paths are made demonstrably steeper by an unequal distribution of resources, mentorships, recognition, and productions. The Dramatists Guild invites all members of the theatre community to join us in taking concrete steps to challenge stereotypes of otherness and to address conscious and unconscious bias in our decision-making processes.
October 1, 2020 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jobs…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.