Associate or Full Professor of Theater in the Area of Scenic Design
UCLA, Department of Theater
Los Angeles, CA 90095
UCLA seeks applicants for a full time, tenured position for an Associate or Full Professor of Theater in the area of Scenic Design beginning July 1, 2021.
• Co-supervise, develop and administer a world-class scenic and production design program at a Research I University.
• Maintain and grow a national and international professional career.
• Teach undergraduate and graduate level theater courses including scenic design, drafting, and rendering; supervise student projects in production.
• Recruit promising students; mentor current students in academic and career planning.
• Serve on department and university committees.
• Contribute to department and university equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives.
Minimum of 8 years professional experience designing at national and/or international venues. MFA in Theatrical Design, additional experience in film and television, art direction, and production design desirable but not required. The ideal candidate will have experience that demonstrates:
• A cooperative approach to theater education and ongoing collaborative relationships in the field.
• A welcoming approach to students with a broad range of knowledge and skills in theater performance, production, and scholarship.
• Ability to teach traditional and current design practices at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
• Additional research and teaching interests such as projection, AR/VR immersive technology, immersive theater, or installation.
• Ability to work with a wide range of culturally diverse students.
A cover letter, statement of contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion and digital portfolio are required. Please address your materials to the Chair of the Faculty Search Committee, Professor Sylvan Oswald. Please submit your application via the following link https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF05667
The University of California, Los Angeles, and the Department of Theater are interested in candidates who are committed to the highest standards of professional activities and to the development of a campus climate that supports equality and diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy.
July 1, 2021 – June 29, 2061
HOW TO APPLY