The New 42nd Street Inc
New York, NY 10036
The New 42nd Street seeks a Controller to join its Finance & Accounting team. Activities powered by the New 42 include The New Victory Theater, New York’s premier theater for kids and families and the New 42 Studios, “Broadway’s secret laboratory.” New 42 engages a wide diversity of New York City youth, artists, educators, and audiences through the New Victory’s stage presentations from around the world; award-winning education and youth employment programs; New Victory LabWorks, an incubator for new works; and state-of-the-art studio space for New York City’s creative community. Engaging New Yorkers from the youngest years on, the New 42 is in an exciting period of transition with a new President & CEO, Russell Granet, making this an excellent time to join the New 42 team.
Reports to: Vice President, Finance
Supervises: Finance Associates
Position Summary: Responsible for the day-to-day accounting activities of the organization and provides direction to Finance Associates
• Hands-on oversight of all accounting activities, reporting, and planning.
• Identify and implement new systems to streamline accounting activities, strengthen controls, and deliver key metrics more quickly.
• Develop accounting team and talent. Supervise Finance Associates and provide guidance daily.
• Direct quarterly closing procedures in a timely and accurate manner, ensuring that actual results are appropriately inclusive and represent the intention of the various departments.
• Ensure that receivables, payables, payroll, bank accounts, related account reconciliations, expense reimbursements and the like are completed accurately and on time.
• Ensure General Ledger is kept updated with g/l accounts, project codes, grant codes. Ownership over the Chart of Accounts.
• Serve as primary contact and manager of all banking and credit card merchant relationships.
• Manage and control accounting component of Tessitura. With the Tessitura Applications Manager, ensure all interfaces with general ledger perform as designed.
• Manage the outside audit of the organization; review any recommendations for improving accounting controls and if appropriate, assist in implementing new procedures.
• Work with outside accounting firm and VP, Finance to ensure timely and accurate IRS filings, such as Forms 990, 990-T, and 5500, and other regulatory requirements.
• Ensure that all federal, state and city filings are done in a timely manner.
• Maximize efficiency of accounting software and work with staff from other departments to leverage dashboards and other applicable features for information sharing.
• Assist with preparation of financial reports and information for presentation to the Board of Directors, Executive and Audit & Finance Committees.
• Support grant reporting requirements of the Development Department.
• Establish strong working relationship with other members of senior staff and participate in matters for which other departments require accounting procedures.
• Special projects at the direction of the VP, Finance.
• BS Degree in Accounting; CPA a plus but not required;
• Minimum of 5 – 7 years of accounting experience; non-profit experience a plus;
• Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience;
• Proven track record with broad accounting, budgeting, and systems experience;
• Expert at building teams and developing talent.
• Effective and persuasive communicator, both orally and in writing.
• Solid analytical skills, unquestionable ethics, and a strong attention to detail, quality, and accuracy.
Competitive salary; excellent benefits. Email cover letter and resume to [email protected] and reference “Controller Position” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
New 42 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: New 42 is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants and to administer all employment decisions regardless of race, color, creed, religion sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital and civil partnership/union status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking, alienage or citizenship status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
June 29, 2020 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to hr…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.