Public Relations Coordinator (Part-Time)
The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
The Public Theater was founded in 1954 on the principles that theater is an essential cultural force and that art and culture belong to everyone. The Public’s wide breadth of programming includes an annual season of new work at its landmark home at Astor Place, Free Shakespeare in the Park at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, The Mobile Unit touring throughout New York City’s five boroughs, Public Forum, the Under the Radar Festival, Public Works, Public Shakespeare Initiative, and Joe’s Pub. Since premiering HAIR in 1967, The Public continues to create the canon of American theater from groundbreaking productions like A Chorus Line and The Normal Heart to recent productions including Fun Home, Sweat, and of course, Hamilton.
The Public Theater is seeking a detail-oriented, organized, and motivated Public Relations Coordinator to join its Communications team to help amplify the stories of the theater’s artists, productions, programs, and mission through innovative and skillfully planned public relations campaigns.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Public Relations, the Coordinator will support the PR team through a variety of research, writing, and editing projects, as well as interview coordination, ticketing, and general administrative duties.
- Draft, edit, and proof press and marketing materials, including press releases, Playbills, invites, and more.
- Lead ticketing contact for media to all productions at Astor Place and Free Shakespeare in the Park, including journalists and awards nominators.
- Monitor press coverage and reviews and develop press packets for each production or event.
- Coordinate and staff interviews, both in-person and via phone, with reporters, artists, or Public Theater leadership.
- Research press contacts and create and update contact lists in Cision.
- Assist with photo calls and b-roll capture of productions and events.
- Respond to general press and archive requests in a timely manner.
- Distribute tickets to reporters on assigned evenings or weekends downtown at Astor Place or uptown for Free Shakespeare in the Park.
- Support PR team during Opening Nights and events (set up and manage step & repeat, photographer support, cast assistance, etc.).
- Additional departmental administrative support.
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written
- Well organized, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize and multitask under pressure, in a fast-paced environment
- Level-headed problem solver with a professional, service-oriented attitude
- Strong social skills and confidence interacting externally with press via phone, email, and face to face
- Understanding of public relations and AP style
- Commitment and dedication to work on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and exploring how public relations and communications can contribute to this work
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is a non-exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Position is available immediately.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Public Relations Coordinator” in the subject line.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jobs…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.