Stephen Petronio Company
NEW YORK, NY 10003
Part/Full-time: 30-40 hours per week.
FOR IMMEDIATE HIRE.
Stephen Petronio Company, a New York-based, internationally-renowned, non-profit contemporary dance company, seeks a new entry-level team member. The candidate should be a self-motivated, independent thinker that is also a well-rounded, dynamic, detail-oriented individual.
The Administrative Associate, a crucial member of this small, but expanding and vibrant non-profit performing arts organization, offers administrative support for the Company’s marketing, select projects in Development, Programming, and the Petronio Residency Center, as well as general clerical tasks. The Administrative Associate is based in New York City and works closely with the Artistic Director, Executive Director, General Manager, and Petronio Residency Center Director.
About the Company
Founded in 1984, Stephen Petronio Company has performed throughout the world, will celebrate its 25th season at The Joyce Theater in New York City in 2020, and has been commissioned by some of the world’s most prestigious modern dance and ballet companies.
In 2015, the Company began Bloodlines, a project of Stephen Petronio Company to honor and curate a lineage of American postmodern dance masters. Distinguished for creating original languages that embody the highest level of artistic excellence, these artists have had a profound impact on Petronio’s own artistic path. To date, the Company has restaged eleven works by Merce Cunningham, Trisha Brown, Anna Halprin, Yvonne Rainer, Rudy Perez, and Steve Paxton, with plans to incorporate others in the coming seasons.
In 2016, Stephen Petronio Company began considering its impact on the future and sustainability of this most ephemeral art form by establishing the Petronio Residency Center (PRC) as a retreat center where research and the creative process are paramount. The site, called Crow’s Nest, is a 175-acre property just outside of Catskill. Paid artist residencies began in the summer of 2018, providing dedicated space and resources to artists to develop new work in an environment unfettered by market constraints and the pressures of urban life. The program is becoming part of a growing ecosystem in the U.S. dedicated to fostering a model for the future of contemporary dance. Besides residencies, the upstate facility also promotes outreach and education activities to the local community, serving over 1,800 children.
Areas of responsibility will include:
– Assist the General Manager in designing and managing audience engagement through marketing campaigns.
– Maintenance and content development for all social media profiles.
– Assist in managing marketing and promotional strategies for special projects.
– Updating and creating content for company web platforms, including the Bloodlines Room.
– Overseeing and maintaining donor database and mailing lists.
– Assisting in fundraising campaigns and mailings.
– Assisting with the collection of supplemental materials for institutional grants.
– Assisting with preparation and note-taking during quarterly Board meetings and various staff meetings.
– Assisting in research, preparation, production, and execution of the annual benefit gala as well as other special events, both in New York City and at the Petronio Residency Center upstate.
– Assisting the General Manager with coordination and advance logistics for touring engagements.
– Documenting the Artistic Director’s creative process for new works as well as reconstructions for Bloodlines.
– Compiling programming information for tours and engagements.
– Daily administrative support: telephone, correspondence, clerical duties, maintaining the Company calendar.
– Office management: notetaking in meetings, scheduling, managing and purchasing office supplies.
– Assisting with other general administrative and office activities not mentioned above.
This position requires flexibility and encourages growth as responsibilities may evolve based on the Company’s needs and the candidate’s individual areas of strength. The Administrative Associate represents the front-line of the Company’s administrative team and often takes on new projects in different areas as they arise.
The ideal candidate will either have previous experience in arts administration and/or project management, a Dance or other arts background/interest, or relevant academic degree and references. Candidates must have excellent writing, editing, communication, and organizational skills, and the ability to multi-task, take initiative, and problem-solve. Some knowledge of web design, WordPress, social media, Salesforce, Adobe Creative Suite, and community/audience outreach is required. Some evening and weekend hours are required around special events and performances.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please email a cover letter and resume attached as PDFs to [email protected] Applications with the cover letter and/or resume in the body of the email will not be considered. No telephone calls please.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to APPLY…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.