Second Stage Theater
New York, NY 10036
The Second Stage Theater Production Management department is seeking a full time, seasonal Master Technician for the Kiser Theater Off-Broadway. The Master Technician serves as the representative from the Production office at the Kiser for all technical rehearsals and performances. The Master Technician is a working member of the stage crew and is responsible for leading load-in and instillation of scenery, props and other stage elements, as well as hiring, supervising, and training additional crew members. The Master Technician will participate in all areas of production when necessary, including, but not limited to scenery, automation, rigging, props, electrics, sound, and video.
Second Stage Theater produces an adventurous range of premieres, musicals, bold new interpretations of contemporary plays, and unique theatrical experiences from America’s most dynamic writers of the 21st century. Through the discovery of emerging talent, the commissioning of new work, and the creation of a training base for directors, Second Stage reflects the diverse city and the world we live in today and reaches an ever‐growing audience through its Broadway runs, national tours and regional productions. Second Stage is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and strongly encourages all interested parties to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Review technical specifications for bidding scenery
· Hire carpentry crew for load-in
· Lead carpentry crew to safely load-in and install scenery
· Hire, train, and oversee run crew for performances
· Serve as Production Carpenter for all productions at the Kiser
· As Production Carpenter, answer technical questions about all scenic and prop elements
· Address all safety needs and concerns in the Kiser Theater
· Organization, maintenance, and storage of the Kiser Theater Production inventory
· Take responsibility for the cleanliness of all production spaces in the Kiser Theater
· In conjunction with facilities department, address building Issues during performances, as needed
· Respond to and answer notes from the performance reports and Stage Management teams
· Coordinate work calls and repairs for physical production elements
· Attend pre-production meetings and tech notes, if required
· Any other production related duties as assigned
Key Abilities and Qualifications:
- 3+ years of professional experience in theatrical installation, scenic construction, stage supervision in a theater environment
- Hands on leadership, creative problem solving and critical thinking required.
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated skills of theatrical carpentry, welding, rigging, automation, knot-tying, soft goods, scenic props, basic scenic paints.
- Demonstrated skills to operate carpentry hand tools and power tools, ladders and lifts proficiently
- Working knowledge of theatrical rigging practices and chain motor rigging
- Complete understanding of backstage etiquette. A good working knowledge of technical theatre practices
- Capable of understanding and interpreting technical plans and paperwork
- Valid Drivers’ license and clean DMV record
- This position is physical in nature. The ability to climb ladders, lifts, reach above head. Ability to bend, kneel, stoop, push, pull and lift up to 40 pounds and repeatedly ascend and descend stairs is essential
- Handle oneself in a professional & positive manner whilst working in close collaboration with designers, directors, artists and stage managers
- Work in a detail-oriented manner, be resourceful and flexible, and be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent work ethic and ability to work well in a team.
- Effectively problem solve and troubleshoot
This is a full-time position. Tuesday – Sunday with evenings and weekends “show schedule” required. Generous benefit package including health/dental insurance, paid time off, Summer Fridays, and 401(k) included.
For more information on Second Stage, visit www.2st.com.
To apply: email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Master Technician. No phone calls, please.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jobs…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.