Assistant to the Executive Director
The Joyce Theater Foundation
New York, NY 10011
- Assistant to the Executive Director Non-exempt, full-time salaried position with full benefit package
- Monday-Friday, 10:00am – 6:00pm with occasional ability to stay late as needed
- Reports to Executive Director
Assist the Executive Director (E.D.) in all aspects of the management of the theater. Provide general administrative support as needed within the organization.
- Handle all Administrative needs of E.D. with confidentially as needed
- Maintain and update contacts and calendar for E.D. in Outlook; includes handling all RSVP’s, keeping track of weekly meetings, setting up meetings upon request, making meeting and dinner reservations, recording due dates, adding all Joyce events to the E.D.’s calendar and keeping performance opportunities organized.
- Review all incoming mail to the E.D. and skim through publications for relevant articles.
- Manage and maintain E.D. To-Do List ensuring items are completed in a timely manner.
- Organize, prioritize and appropriately handle time-sensitive, confidential information and ensure action required is addressed in a timely manner
- Research, write drafts and/or follow up on E.D.’s special projects
- Draft and/or proof the E.D.’s weekly e-memo to the Board, including preparing and scanning all necessary attachments, ie newspaper articles.
- Liaison between busy E.D. and other departments, be resourceful in building relationships across the larger Joyce ecosystem.
- Post weekly program information, run times, postcards and production calendar
- Keep E.D. desk and office as organized and manageable as possible.
- Update the filing system.
- Handle all travel arrangements for the E.D.; car, hotels, air and reservations (performances, restaurants, etc.)
- Compile all E.D. business and travel receipts and create monthly expense reports to be submitted to the Finance department.
- Manage email, documents and phone calls; keeping track of messages.
- Handle all business correspondence for E.D.; write letters or drafts upon request.
- Participate and lead the Staff Meeting Agenda Committee to best prepare and communicate to the organization for Monthly Staff Meetings.
- Compile information to be circulated to all staff on a timely basis; including weekly staff notes email.
- Cater food for meetings as needed.
- Purchase gifts, food, flowers, etc. that E.D. gives as gifts to staff, VIP’s, visiting companies, etc.
- Circulate cards for special occasions and guests.
- Arrange the Holiday party and Staff Anniversary parties. Take care of any cards, gifts and/or food that accompany these celebrations.
- Assist other departments as needed when time permits.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite, PC computer operating programs and Adobe Acrobat
- Must be able to manage all tasks with discretion keep information confidential
- High sensitivity to organization and detail
- Excellent follow through
- Willingness to take on new challenges, projects and responsibilities
- Ability to creatively problem-solve
- Flexible in adapting to changing timelines and priorities
- Able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities
- Knowledge and strong interest in the dance industry
About The Joyce Theater Foundation
The Joyce Theater Foundation (“The Joyce,” Executive Director, Linda Shelton), a nonprofit organization, has proudly served the dance community for over three decades. Under the direction of founders Cora Cahan and Eliot Feld, Ballet Tech Foundation acquired and The Joyce renovated the Elgin Theater in Chelsea. Opening as The Joyce Theater in 1982, it was named in honor of Joyce Mertz, beloved daughter of LuEsther T. Mertz. It was LuEsther’s clear, undaunted vision and abundant generosity that made it imaginable and ultimately possible to build the theater. Ownership was secured by The Joyce in 2015. The theater is one of the only theaters built by dancers for dance and has provided an intimate and elegant home for over 400 U.S.-based and international companies. The Joyce has also expanded its reach beyond its Chelsea home through off-site presentations at venues ranging in scope from Lincoln Center’s David H. Koch Theater, to Brooklyn’s Invisible Dog Art Center, and to outdoor programming in spaces such as Hudson River Park. To further support the creation of new work, The Joyce maintains longstanding commissioning and residency programs. Local students and teachers (K–12th grade) benefit from its school program, and family and adult audiences get closer to dance with access to artists. The Joyce’s annual season of about 48 weeks of dance now includes over 340 performances for audiences in excess of 150,000 patrons. Visit Joyce.org for more information.
Joyce Theater Foundation employees share a rich work experience with colleagues who embrace the institution’s mission of programming and promoting a wide spectrum of dance. An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, The Joyce Theater is committed to an inclusive work environment.
Please send a cover letter detailing how the candidates’ experience meets or exceeds the position requirements identified above, along with a resume and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Assistant to the Executive Director Search
No phone calls or solicitations please. Due to the volume of applications anticipated, only those candidates that most directly meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to mmurphy…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.