Internships with the Mark Morris Dance Group
Mark Morris Dance Group
Brooklyn, NY 11217
Spring 2020 Internship Term
Application period: October 21 – November 17, 2019
Term: January 13 – May 29, 2020
Mandatory Orientation Date: Monday, January 13, 2020 from 1-3pm
Applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first served basis during the application period.
Internships for the spring term are available in the following areas of concentration:
- Interns are an important part of the MMDG community. MMDG makes a commitment to providing project-based, meaningful work with a focus on career development for all interns. Participants will experience a broad overview of the organization through involvement with various special projects and events. Interns receive direct supervision and participate in regular check-ins with their on-site supervisor. Many have gone on to become full-time employees at the Mark Morris Dance Group and enjoyed successful careers in the nonprofit performing arts sector.
Internships are hosted year-round for Fall, Winter/Spring, and Summer terms.
- Applicants must be 18+ and authorized to work in the US.
- MMDG’s internships require a commitment of 15-20 hours per week, but shorter or longer commitments will be approved on a case by case basis.
- Internship opportunities for high school students are currently provided to our Arts Immersion Alumni and through our partnerships with Exploring the Arts, Exalt Youth, and Cristo Rey High School.
The Mark Morris Dance Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is stronger for the variety of perspectives, experiences, identities, and skills of our staff. Successful candidates will join a community of dedicated arts professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. In our daily work, we are proactive, detail-oriented, and passionately interested in exceeding past success. We collectively strive to foster an environment where we are present, accountable, and supportive.
BENEFITS: WHAT OUR PROGRAM HAS TO OFFER
- Access to an anchor cultural institution in Brooklyn, New York and networking opportunities within the Brooklyn Cultural District
- Stipends are available when programs/schools do not provide them. For qualifying internships, a weekly stipend of $75 is offered per 15-20 hour per week commitment.
- Applicable workforce training in the areas of programming, artist services, fundraising, administration/business administration, company management, event planning and marketing
- Individualized career mentorship and guidance from leaders in the field
- Unlimited free adult dance and somatic technique classes as well as discounts to Master Classes and Intensives at the Mark Morris Dance Center
- Access to special MMDG events and performances
- Access to subsidized rehearsal space at the Mark Morris Dance Center
- Stipends are available when programs/schools do not provide them
You are a great candidate for our Internship Program if you are any of the following:
- Current students and recent graduates who are pursuing a career in the performing arts, arts education, or arts administration
- Individuals who are seeking an opportunity to gain applicable skills for work in the nonprofit arts sector
- Professionals and life-long learners who are looking to engage with the arts and put their skills to use
You will be successful in this role if you are:
- Curious and eager to learn
- Looking to apply skills learned in an academic setting
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- A creative problem-solver with the ability to multi-task
- Interested in learning skills that broaden one’s knowledgebase and experience
- Passionate about the performing arts
HOW TO APPLY: Visit our website linked here, select the department(s) of interest, and complete the online form.
- Include a cover letter, resume outlining your education and work experience, and one letter of recommendation via the online form
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
January 13, 2020 – May 29, 2020
HOW TO APPLY