Director of Marketing, Communications & Engagement
Signature Theatre Company
New York, NY 10036
Signature Theatre, one of New York’s leading off-Broadway theatres, is seeking a DIRECTOR OF MARKETING, COMMUNICATIONS & ENGAGEMENT to join the senior leadership team.
The Director of Marketing, Communications & Engagement leads a team of 10 and is responsible for strategic thinking around all marketing and communication efforts, with a focus on supporting Signature’s mission, the Signature Ticket Initiative, and audience engagement. Signature seeks high level leadership and strategic focus on Signature’s brand positioning, the major opportunity to enhance Signature’s public spaces, and audience and community development. Specific areas of ongoing oversight include: printed and digital collateral; integrated advertising, media and public relations plans in support of shows and the institution; subscriber relations/events; web and digital media management and growth; and rigorous community engagement.
Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field and aligning with the theatre’s institutional goals and priorities focused on playwrights, community and access are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a perfect opportunity for an innovative thinker with an appetite for creativity, community-building and radical inclusion.
Signature is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and welcomes candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for underrepresented communities.
Marketing and Sales
· Direct and manage all brand strategy initiatives, ensuring brand governance, consistency and quality
· Develop all subscription, group sales and single ticket sales initiatives, including pricing strategies and inventory management
· Plan and oversee execution of all advertising and marketing campaigns for a diverse spectrum of programs and projects, develop key art for Signature productions, create and manage budgets and schedules, and supervise all media buys with various outlets including print, digital, radio and television
· Oversee all design projects with designers and publishing vendors
· Plan and implement market research and data analytics, and ensure a culture of data-driven decision-making
Audience Engagement and Outreach
· Lead audience development strategy and implementation in support of both show attendance and institutional objectives
· Develop targeted grassroots and community outreach initiatives in support of Signature’s programming and Signature Ticket Initiative
Communications and Content Development
· Liaise with outside public relations firm, collaborating on overall press strategy; Coordinate press releases and all press & promotional events with artists and staff
· Oversee all editorial content including Playbill, dramaturgical show panels, and
digital media, including photography, videography, and other recordings for artistic programs, historic content, and archival documentation
· Lead content creation planning across the organization; seize opportunity to innovate in the digital space
· Oversee all organic and paid social media initiatives and all eblast communications
· Maintain and develop Signature’s website and ticketing systems
Operations and Customer Service
· Establish a public-facing customer service ethos that informs all interactions with Signature stakeholders
· Direct all box office and front of house operations in support of Signature Theatre, The Pershing Square Signature Center and rentals
· Oversee the operations of Signature Bookstore and Signature Café and Bar
The ideal candidate will be a results-oriented, self-starting professional who thrives in an intense, high-quality, fast-paced work environment. Specifically, the candidate should possess:
· Passion for building audiences and strategic approach to ongoing audience engagement
· Significant track record of progressively responsible experience in marketing/advertising for not-for-profit institutions in the visual or performing arts or related field
· Comprehensive knowledge of marketing and communication concepts, practices, and techniques in all formats
· Strong knowledge of sales, pricing and ticketing strategies
· Creative eye for design
· Hands-on self-starter who works well within a fast-paced environment and effectively manages multiple complex projects and meets multiple deadlines
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written, and public relations skills including the ability to work seamlessly and collaboratively with artists and staff
· Ability to engage externally in theatre industry, media realm and various nontraditional communities
· Knowledge of Tessitura and Abode Creative Suite is a plus
· Proven innovator with an appetite for expansive thinking, creativity, community-building and radical inclusion
The salary for this exempt position is commensurate with experience. Benefits include group health, dental, and vision plans, as well as the opportunity to participate in flexible spending, commuter and 401(k) plans.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type DIRECTOR OF MARKETING in the subject line.
No phone calls please. For more information on Signature, please visit www.signaturetheatre.org
Founded in 1991, Signature celebrates playwrights and gives them an artistic home, producing six to eight productions annually. In 2005, Signature began its groundbreaking Signature Ticket Initiative, providing subsidized, affordable tickets to all of its productions. In 2012, Signature opened the Pershing Square Signature Center, the Frank Gehry-designed 75,000 square foot Center featuring three theatres, two rehearsal studios, a central, public lobby with a café and bookstore, as well as administrative offices.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, affectional preference, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, disability, genetic predisposition, age, military or veteran status, marital or familial status, or any other protected characteristic, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
October 12, 2019 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to careers…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.