Director of Marketing & Communications
Berkeley Repertory Theatre
Berkeley, CA 94710
POSTING DATE: September 2019
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
SALARY RANGE: DOQ
DEADLINE: Open Now
The Tony Award-winning Berkeley Repertory Theatre seeks a full-time Director of marketing and communications to administer the activities of a full-service in-house agency responsible for an annual audience of 200,000 and revenue exceeding $9 million. This person:
- Serves as a critical member of the senior management team responsible for realizing the strategic ambitions of the Theatre;
- Manages a staff including senior marketing manager, public relations director, communications director, audience development manager, art director, video producer, ticketing services manager, front of house director, and webmaster;
- Develops and administers the Theatre’s subscription and single show sales campaigns activities, with particular focus on revenue management, sales, and audience development;
- Leads the Theatre’s audience research efforts through extensive use of the Revenue Management Application (RMA) and Tessitura, as well as relevant outside sources, toward creating and communicating a strong brand, smart ticketing programs, and effective marketing;
- Partners with the director of development and director of the school of theatre to advance the Theatre’s fundraising and education objectives.
The director of marketing and communications plays a leadership role in a broad range of detail-oriented, deadline-driven activities that sustain and expand the Theatre’s audience. This is a great opportunity for an ambitious and energetic leader.
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to:
· Leading a $4+ million subscription campaign
- As part of the season planning process, providing per-show revenue projections, developing season imagery with art director, generating show descriptions with communications director
- Producing and coordinating all renewal and acquisition letter packages between January and November; working with team and colleagues to coordinate ancillary email and digital marketing, as well as targeted print advertising
- Managing advertising, research, list generation, and other related activities
· Creating a dozen or more single show campaigns
- Developing and executing strategic marketing plans for each of the seven shows that comprise the subscription season, plus several long- and short-run special events
- Pricing: Using the Revenue Management Application (RMA), monitoring sales and making and implementing pricing recommendations in conjunction with the senior marketing manager
- Advertising: Managing the Theatre’s advertising strategy, conducting research, making media buys, and managing expenses with the support of the senior marketing manager
- Audience Development: supporting audience development manager and senior marketing manager in effort to identify, cultivate, solicit, steward, and sustain diverse audiences via advertising and co-promotions, special events, outreach, and other means, including new, highly-targeted programs
- Database: working closely with the full Tessitura software suite (including the RMA) to generate key sales, financial, and statistical analyses. Serve as primary supervisor of the box office/ticket services staff
- With ticketing services manager, administering Tessitura, TNEW, and web changes for revenue management and dynamic pricing
- Ensuring the highest level of customer service and efficiency in the box office.
· Serving as primary supervisor of the front of house director, who oversees the house management staff and concessionaires, with the objective of providing a first-class customer experience that drives up per-patron FOH revenue
· Providing marketing consultation to Berkeley Rep’s School of Theatre, making the marketing manager available to administer, coordinate, and execute marketing on its behalf
· Partnering with the development director to establish a strong foundation for an effective annual fund, planned giving program, capital campaign, and other giving programs
· Administering and coordinating a range of departmental activities
- Budget: maintaining department’s budget by tracking expenses in ledger and Tessitura
- Social Media: helping develop social media strategy and manage Facebook activities
- Appointing and overseeing the marketing fellow as part of the Theatre’s rigorous, 11-month fellowship program
Qualified candidates will demonstrate:
· Sustained record of progressive accomplishment in theatre, arts, or event marketing
· Evidence of maturity, drive, and enthusiasm
· Preference for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, multi-task environment
· Outstanding communication skills, both in writing and interpersonally
· Strong analytical abilities (including math and statistics), intellectual curiosity, and unwavering interest in detail
· Demonstrated management experience and ability to provide guidance to staff in disparate geographic locations and with multiple areas of concern
· A proclivity for staying up to date in the ever-changing world of consumer-buying and media consumption
· The ability and success working with internal and external teams, sometimes with competing needs
· Experience with MS Word products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, others)
· Experience with Tessitura ticketing highly desirable; knowledge of RMA a plus
Berkeley Rep offers full benefits including vacation, sick days, health, dental, and vision insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan. Berkeley Rep further offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth.
Position available ASAP. Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls. Persons from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Berkeley Rep is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter, including compensation requirements via PDF file (no web links, please) to: email@example.com.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jobs…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.