Resident Costume Design Associate
Berkeley Repertory Theatre
Berkeley, CA 94710
POSITION: Resident Costume Design Associate
POSTING DATE: 28 June, 2019
REPORTS TO: Costume Shop Director
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday (schedule will change during load in or tech, which will include weekends)
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Position
SALARY & BENEFITS: DOE. Exempt. Benefits Eligible after standard waiting period.
Tony-Award winning Berkeley Repertory Theatre (LORT B) seeks a Resident Costume Design Associate.
Under the direction of the Costume Shop Director, the Associate serves as a key member of BRT’s Costume department.
The Associate will facilitate the design process for each production. They will assist the Costume Shop Director in the oversight of the costumes, hair, and wigs department. They will work in close collaboration with visiting costume and wigs designers and directors for each production and will collaborate with the other production departments to ensure that the company’s best work is being put forth. This position will be based at the Harrison Campus of Berkeley Repertory Theatre (BRT).
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to the following tasks:
· Along with the Costume Shop Director, serve as Berkeley Rep’s primary point of contact for visiting costume and wig designers. Facilitate the design to realization process and ensure that it is planned and executed in accordance with the artistic goals of each project within the allocated time and budget.
· From the scripts, create and maintain costume plots, breakdowns used for wardrobe, and inventory and archival purposes.
· Create and maintain the costume department production bibles including designers, research, measurements, sourcing, financial tracking, and other relevant information.
· Work closely with stage management and wardrobe teams to create costume tracking sheets, discuss any special functions of costumes, and schedule any special costume or quick change rehearsals as needed.
· Assist in cast fittings to ensure costumes are properly fitted and styled to the specifications of the costume designer. Notate design and fitting notes for the designer. Photograph and upload each costume fitting for reference and dressing purposes.
· Source and purchase fabrics, materials, costumes pieces, and items.
· Process and return unused purchased items, scheduling shipping for online returns in a timely fashion.
· Create and track all costume rental paperwork for each production.
· Provide in tech design support to visiting designers including maintaining clear communication between the design team, costume shop, stage management and wardrobe crews. Tasks include but are not limited to taking notes on costume pieces, relaying notes clearly to the Costume Shop Director, communicating with wardrobe staff which pieces have been changed or amended, and then informing the designer which notes have been completed.
· Assist Costume Shop Director with budget projection, expenditure tracking, and show budgeting
· Assist the Costume Shop Director in the day-to-day running of the department including but not limited to: prioritizing department tasks lists, organizing resources, leading department meetings, scheduling crews and costume shop equipment, collecting, submitting and tracking payroll for all costume and wardrobe department employees, and attending weekly production and department head meetings and safety related meetings when assigned.
· With Costume Shop Director, collaborate closely with production staff including but not limited to scene shop, paint shop, prop shop, sound and video, electrics, stage and production management in all areas of rehearsals, load-ins & outs, technical rehearsals, and performances. Coordinate logistics and plans across productions and venues.
· When required, work closely with co-production partners to ensure success in transferring productions from BRT to receiving companies.
· Provide the day-to-day work direction of the Costume Shop Fellow as needed.
· Cultivate excellent relationships with vendors, visiting designers, overhire costume technicians, artisans and wardrobe run crew.
· Instill and nurture an inclusive, safe, efficient, and effective working environment in Costume department.
· Assist the Costume Shop Director in oversight of the organization and maintenance of all shop workspaces and storage spaces to ensure all areas are kept clean and uncluttered. Ensure that the shop is adequately supplied.
· Provide support and coordination for any BRT projects, rentals and events that require costumes, such as BRT parties, galas, photo calls, backstage tours, and publicity appearances as assigned.
Preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· Previous work experience in a costume shop at a comparable theater or venue.
· Comprehensive knowledge of the costume design process, including knowledge around theatrical fabrics, costume construction, costume history and period garments.
· Experience and familiarity with theatrical fabric vendors and rental houses is a plus.
· Knowledge of backstage wardrobe needs around quick changes and maintenance of garments.
· Fluency in computer programs such as Excel to create expense tracking documents, character costume breakdowns, and credit card expense tracking spreadsheets.
· Basic knowledge in hair, wigs and makeup is a plus.
Preferred candidate will have the ability to:
· Be an excellent collaborator in the process of creating new work and new productions.
· Interact with a diverse group of constituents including visiting directors, designers, artists, administrative staff, technical crews, and students.
· Have a good sense of humor and a positive attitude.
· Organize and communicate information clearly, both verbally and in writing.
· Work in a detail-oriented manner, and be resourceful and flexible.
· Handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize effectively.
· Mentor upcoming costume fellows.
· Effectively and creatively problem-solve.
· Carry out physical activities such as reaching above head, climb, lift and maneuver 20 pounds frequently.
· Occasionally work at heights such as on catwalks, ladders, and lifts.
· Face demanding situations with tenacity, diplomacy, and sensitivity under pressure.
· Stay on the forefront of new industry practices, consistently upgrading technical skills and knowledge base.
· Work independently and as part of team.
· Work irregular hours, evening hours, long hours, and weekend as required.
· Valid Driver’s license and clean driving record.
Berkeley Rep is an equal opportunity employer. Berkeley Rep offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth. Position available July 22, 2019.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, and a resume with at least 2 references without delay. Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.
Email submissions only. Send only PDF files, no web links to: [email protected] with the subject “Resident Costume Design Associate” Only complete submissions will be considered.
July 22, 2019 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jobs…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.