BlackRock Center for the Arts
Germantown, MD 20872
BlackRock Center for the Arts, a multidisciplinary nonprofit arts organization providing professional performing arts, visual arts and arts education to the community, seeks an Education Manager to oversee the continuing development and implementation of the Center’s current performing, visual, dance and music classes and community engagement programs for children, families and adults.
The ideal candidate will bring strong arts education and management experience, vision, creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a commitment to high quality programming and teaching to help realize the organization’s mission and meet programmatic and financial goals.
About BlackRock Center for the Arts:
BlackRock’s arts education programming provides creative, affordable, and diverse classes in a nurturing, positive, and safe learning environment. Classes include dance, music, theater, and visual arts for children and adults, as well as summer arts camps for school-aged children. BlackRock currently offers approximately 100 arts classes per week to more than 500 students per session, as well as afterschool outreach programs around Montgomery County, Maryland. Our community engagement activities include workshops, master classes, artist discussions, and other creative special events supporting Mainstage and gallery programming to enhance the community’s arts experiences and promote discovery, exploration, appreciation and personal or professional development. BlackRock’s mission is to inspire and encourage the community to explore, experience, and celebrate the arts. Our performances, gallery exhibits, classes, and community engagement programs serve more than 40,000 people annually from all over the greater Washington region.
This position reports to the Executive Director and supervises teaching faculty and volunteers. The Manager:
- Job duties and responsibilities:
Continues existing programming while evaluating future expansions and improvements
- Develops innovative, and high quality class offerings and programs in all the performing and visual arts disciplines for children and adults in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Works with the Marketing Manager to develop a marketing plan for education offerings and community engagement activities and creates and reviews content for brochures, press releases, and marketing materials.
- Identifies , recruits, supervises, evaluates sand serves as central contact point with all performing and visual arts faculty (approximately 25 instructors) and Summer Camp directors, counselors and counselors in training
· Oversees class registration process, working with other staff to refine and improve on-line registration and troubleshooting collections, ensuring proper receipt of class payments
- · Oversees the necessary logistics for all educational programs, including scheduling, space allocation, and ensuring that all classrooms are prepared in advance
Develops educational outreach programs for underserved communities
- Works with public and private schools to offer an array of educational in-school and after-school programs
- Builds and cultivates strategic working relationships with arts education community, Montgomery County public schools staff and teachers, and parent support groups to manage and expand on-campus after school arts programs
- Builds and cultivates strategic collaborations with area community organizations, recreation providers, social service agencies, etc. to ensure that BlackRock’s programs are reaching and engaging diverse populations;
- Works closely with Executive Director to forecast, monitor, and evaluate class enrollments to identify income potential or losses and initiates strategies to ensure earned revenue goals.
- Works with the Development department to help conceive and write funding proposals and reports.
- · Ensures adequate inventory and purchase of necessary supplies (i.e., art supplies) for all class offerings
Monitors, assesses and improves effectiveness of educational programs by monitoring enrollment trends and provide informative reports with recommendations for improvements to Executive Director and Board
· Develops and manages the budget for educational and community engagement programs and prepare reports on managed budgets for Executive Director and Board, as requested
· Represent the Center at appropriate community events and make presentations to local groups to encourage community partnerships, participation and collaboration with the Center
- Other responsibilities
Serve as engaged and involved team member, supportive of the varied experiences and perspectives of internal and external customers
- Support and actively build an office culture dedicated to superior customer service that exceeds member expectations
- Assist in organizational initiatives such as festivals, outdoor concerts, New Year’s eve, Open House, etc., as needed
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned
- Physical requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sit, stand, walk and work at a computer, relative to an office environment
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings, as required
- Education, Experience, knowledge, and skill requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in arts education, fine arts, performing arts, or related field is required (Master’s degree preferred)
- Preferred five years of progressively responsible arts administration experience
- Familiarity with and a good knowledge of a variety of performing and/or visual arts disciplines is required (as a working performer, artist, teacher and/or arts administrator)
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong volunteer and professional partnerships and alliances
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written, research, oral, and presentation communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong problem-solving experience
- Strong project management skills and the ability to handle multiple activities simultaneously
- Proficiency in MS Office required with good spreadsheet and analytical skills
- Experience with relational databases
- Proven ability to work independently and in a team-based environment
PLEASE SUBMIT COVER LETTER, RESUME, AND SALARY HISTORY & REQUIREMENTS VIA EMAIL TO [email protected].
August 5, 2019 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jobs…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.