Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
Brooklyn, NY 11217
BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities with world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more. With an annual operating budget of approximately $50 million —the majority dedicated directly or indirectly to programming—BAM is a leading presenter of emerging and contemporary artists.
The Budget Manager role supports and plays a key role in managing BAM’s organizational budgets and is responsible for the administration, analysis and reporting of assigned budgets.
The Budget Manager role requires the ability to:
- Analyze BAM’s budget and financial reporting and ensure the accuracy and timeliness of assigned components of BAM’s operating budget throughout the budget cycle.
- Improve operational efficiencies and effectiveness of budgeting and reporting procedures and systems in line with best practice.
- Maintain BAM’s capital projects budgets and manage the process with construction managers, architects and funding agencies.
- Ability to think critically and solve problems proactively.
- Collaborate and diffuse conflict and strive to achieve shared goals.
The Budget Manager’s Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate annual budgeting process to develop an operating budget.
- Perform monthly review and analysis of departmental budgets, including explanations provided by departmental heads for departmental budget-actual variances.
- Analyze budget, identify risks and opportunities and make recommendations.
- Prepare monthly financial reports comparing budgeted and actual financial data of BAM’s operating activities.
- Improve operational efficiencies and effectiveness in the area of financial reporting, budget planning and budget control. Including business process improvements and financial system functionality enhancements.
- Respond to inquiries from internal stakeholders across the organization regarding budgets and spending. Troubleshoot and resolve problems and issues.
- Analyze labor budgets for collective bargaining negotiations by creating multiple budget scenarios for various labor strategies, examine the effect of differing work rules on the budget, investigate the impact of various potential labor changes to wages and benefits (healthcare, retirement, etc.), evaluate the labor strategy and make recommendations.
- Respond to requests for ad-hoc budget reporting, financial analysis, special projects and other similar duties as required or directed.
- Manage budget and supplemental schedules for BAM’s capital projects and reconcile actual costs against budgets and prepare fiscal year end accruals for the capital projects.
- Manage process for payment applications including their review and reconciliation and any supporting documents from construction managers and architects.
- Manage the process of BAM’s requisition requests to funding agencies.
- Review, reconcile and close assigned program and departmental budgets while adhering to a budget close-out schedule.
- Perform journal entries for costs allocations and revenue re-classifications, set-up project codes and enter budget modifications in Multiview financial software.
- Develop and conduct budget training sessions for internal stakeholders across the organization.
- Complete quarterly trial balance review for assigned accounts.
- Prepare PBC schedules for assigned accounts for an annual financial audit.
- A bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration, or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of three plus years of relevant work experience with budgets and financial analysis. Experience with managing capital project budgets is a plus.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication with the ability to build effective relationships and work with colleagues at all levels across different functions.
- Capable of managing multiple work streams under pressure with tight timelines in a fast-paced environment. Including the ability to manage stressful situations.
- Excellent analytic and quantitative skills, including the ability to work with complex data sets.
- Excellent attention to detail and organization.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, including pivot tables, advanced formulas and charts.
- Experience with budgeting and reporting functionalities of Multiview financial software or similar is a plus.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including pension.
Application Instructions: must complete an online application through BAM’s website – no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
See what it’s like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM
HOW TO APPLY