Paul A. Kaplan Theatre Management Program | Fall 2019 Internships
Manhattan Theatre Club
New York, NY 10036
Manhattan Theatre Club (MTC), a Tony Award-winning nonprofit theatre dedicated to the production of contemporary plays and musicals, invites individuals to apply for Paul A. Kaplan Theatre Management Program fall internships. For nearly fifty years, MTC has been the creative and artistic home for America’s most gifted theatrical artists, producing works of the highest quality by American and international playwrights. We are strongly committed to producing work that is made by, and tells the stories of, a wide range of voices from all walks of life and to making that work accessible to all audiences including those that have historically lacked access to the arts and cultural sector. MTC produces eight plays annually in Broadway’s restored Samuel J. Friedman Theatre on West 47th Street and off Broadway at the historic NY City Center complex on West 55th Street.
The Paul A. Kaplan Theatre Management Program is an intensive internship that provides a unique opportunity to learn about producing not-for-profit theatre both on and off-Broadway. Manhattan Theatre Club fall interns will work on productions including The Height of the Storm, Bella Bella, and The New Englanders.
Interns are assigned projects and responsibilities that are vital to the day-to-day running of the company. Additionally, interns’ relationships with their supervisor and mentor ensure that they are not only gaining valuable skills but also receiving support and feedback. Fall internships are available in Artistic, Business, Casting, Company Management, Development-Individual Giving, Development-Institutional Giving, Development-Special Events, Education, Literary, Marketing, Marketing-Analytics, and Production Management. Business interns currently work part-time, 20-25 hours/week. All other positions are full-time, 35 hours/week.
To learn more about internship positions, please visit http://manhattantheatreclub.com/education/internships/positions-descriptions/
Full-Time Interns at MTC:
• receive a $525 weekly stipend/ $15 hourly for part-time positions
• are offered optional weekend and evening work which pays $15/hr
• attend weekly educational seminars led by MTC Department Heads
HOW TO APPLY:
The application deadline for the Fall 2019 semester is Friday, July 5 at 11:59pm EDT. All components of the application must be received by this deadline in order for the application to be considered complete.
A completed application includes:
- A professional work resume that lists: education and training, work history, theatre/arts experience, and computer skills.
- Cover Letter: Our mission at MTC is to produce innovative theatre of the highest quality by American and International playwrights, with a focus on presenting New York, American, and world premieres. We are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in every aspect of our work both on stage and off. Please write a cover letter of not more than 750 words responding to the questions below:
- Why are you interested in each department you selected?
- What specifically about MTC’s mission and history speaks to you?
- Given your background and life experiences, how do your ideas and attitudes towards diversity and inclusion inform your aspirations as an arts administrator?
Manhattan Theatre Club believes that equity, diversity and inclusion should be essential elements of all activity within the organization. We have made it a priority to create and maintain an environment that is attractive to and supportive of all individuals regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender identity, age, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, military or veteran status, etc. MTC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY