Associate Tech Director/Master Carpenter
The Play Group Theatre
White Plains, NY 10601
The Play Group Theatre (PGT), a White Plains, NY based non-profit theatre for children and teenagers entering its 25th year, is currently seeking a part-time Associate Technical Director/Master Carpenter. PGT is a conservatory quality program for young actors, producing 7 MainStage shows annually, in downtown White Plains, NY.
We are seeking applicants with a BA/BFA (MA/MFA preferred) in technical theatre or equivalent experience. Applicants must possess a mastery of carpentry skills, a working knowledge of construction, shop safety and project management, and should have experience in a supervisory position. Preferred applicants possess experience with and working knowledge of both theatrical lighting and basic sound design. Experience in an educational theatre setting and facility in scenic design is a plus.
We are seeking applicants who possess imagination, flexibility and the desire and ability to work with children and teenagers of varied ages in a creatively charged and artistically demanding, yet nurturing environment. Applicants must be prepared to work as a member of a strong creative team, and to work quickly towards the end goal, while still giving focus to the artistic process. The ideal candidate is not afraid to get dirty or climb tall ladders and possesses grace and a sense of humor under pressure. Ability to safely lift and carry 50 pounds is a must.
– Communicating with designers. Interpreting and/or creating floor plans/draftings.
– Building sets and properties for all PGT MainStage productions.
– Coordinating overhire for the build/painting of sets and properties.
– Organizing and seeing to technical needs for all PGT MainStage productions.
– Overseeing scenic/tech for Theatre Lab productions, in PGT’s Black box Theatre, as needed.
– Instructing and overseeing students in our Design/Tech Track (middle- and high-school aged) including basic scenic construction and safety, and technical theatre, and involving them in the process of building the show
– Supervising college-age interns and parent volunteers as available
– Ensuring a safe, clean and organized workspace
– Ensuring the safety of students, staff and audience members regarding scenery, props, special effects and backstage spaces in both the MainStage and Blackbox Theatres
– Attending all necessary production meetings and staff-wide events
PGT’s Theatre Facility includes:
228 seat MainStage Theatre
100 seat Jonah Mac Blackbox Theatre
Green Room and Dressing Rooms
Offices and Storage
The Play Group Theatre has a core value of inclusion and is actively seeking to diversify our staff. We believe that a truly diverse arts community is necessary to serve all students, make meaningful art, and reflect the broad range of cultures within our wider community.
The Play Group Theatre is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, age, or sexual orientation.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Artistic Director, Jill Abusch: [email protected]. Please include ‘ATD’ in the subject of your email. No phone calls please.
June 10, 2019 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jill…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.