Renegade Museum Tour Guide
San Francisco, CA
***To be considered, please apply via our website: http://jobs.museumhack.com/apply/kuXOoLhFvh/Renegade-Museum-Tour-Guide?source=Playbill
We want charismatic, outgoing, passionate, museum-loving people… with a touch of renegade flair.
We’re actively seeking diverse candidates!
Background in one or more of the following: Theater, Improv, Debate, Museum Studies, Teaching (if you were Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society), Making passionate speeches about nerdy subjects to your friends, Being Awesome, or Museum Education or Art History.
– Warm, friendly, eager, a “people person” with excellent communication skills but also attention to detail.
– Ability to think on your feet, be a self-starter, learn and memorize content + add your flair, and develop your own content and tour route.
– Desire to help wide-eyed tourists and grizzled San Francisco residents experience art and museums in a very fun way.
– Must have flexible daytime availability (including weekends). We book private and corporate tours during the week, and public tours during the weekend.
– Must be able to stand for 3 hours, carry a heavy bag, and race through museum spaces at top speeds.
– Must have valid work authorization.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
If you’re passionate about art, antiquities, and history, and if you’re great at storytelling and working a small crowd, then you definitely belong in our family of Museum Hackers.
APPLICATION BONUS POINTS!!!!
Send us a link to a short YouTube video of yourself (1 minute or less) telling us about something you’re OBSESSED with right now! Video applications will get priority!
$32/hr for leading tours (= $88 + tips for leading a 2 hour tour)
If selected to proceed from this interview process, you’ll be hired as an Independent Contractor and paid to develop your own tour content, which will act as our final audition before hiring you as a part-time employee
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS RENEGADE TOUR GUIDE POSITION
You’ll be leading small groups of people on a fast-paced, spirited journey through the BEST encyclopedic museums on Earth — We want guides who can share the juicy stories and fascinating histories of their selected art pieces in an engaging and succinct way.
This is not a full-time gig.
IMPORTANT: If you have a steady full-time 9-5 type job, or if you’re absolutely never ever available on Friday or Saturday nights, please do not apply.
ABOUT MUSEUM HACK
We pride ourselves in crafting amazing museum experiences for museum skeptics. Our best tour guides are not the center of attention — they make the museum the star attraction. We lead with passion and charisma. The joke is, “We do museum tours for people who don’t like museums.”
Museum Hack uses the expansive collection of world-class museums as our playground to create un-highlights tours that focus on hidden works, oddities, and saucy stories. Museum Hack guides combine these stories with antics and quirky activities that get you to think about the museum experience in new ways.
WHY WORK WITH MUSEUM HACK
– We’re doing exciting things.
– You’re going to get more responsibility and control working with us than you would at a bigger institution or museum.
– Our tours are really fucking fun.
NO PHONE CALLS, EMAILS, OR SOCIAL MEDIA MESSAGES: We love that you are enthusiastic and want to learn more about the job or the progress of your application. But please, no phone calls, emails, or social media messages. We only accept applications via our job website.
(Pro-Tip reward for reading to the bottom: write a cover letter that lets us see your personality! Form letters get thrown out)
HOW TO APPLY