Associate Director of the Under the Radar Festival
The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
The Associate Director of the Under The Radar Festival works closely with The Director of Under The Radar, The Director of the Devised Theater Initiative and the staff of The Public Theater to produce an annual festival that is at the center of the presenting field. Over the last 15 years, The Public’s UNDER THE RADAR FESTIVAL has presented over 229 companies from 42 countries. It has grown into a landmark of the New York City theater season and is a vital part of The Public’s mission, providing a high-visibility platform to support artists from diverse backgrounds who are redefining the act of making theater.
- Produce the Under the Radar Festival (UTR) in alignment with vision of Director of UTR and Public Theater production and budget practices
o Design a festival that balances the artistic wants of the programming with the financial and production parameters of the festival including budgeting and assessment of technical needs, legal and liability risks, and repertory schedule.
o Provide the course of action for a team from multiple departments and ensure clear alignment for shifting variables.
o Serve as the nexus of communication into the UTR department for all outside artists and partners.
o Support the Festival Director by working with Production and General Management to translate technical riders and artistic pitches into viable costs and assessments of individual shows for selection into the festival.
- Host all of the visiting arts professionals and presenters during festival weeks.
- Anticipate and accommodate presenter needs as requested/directed by Festival Director.
- Make viable assumptions for each festival show and the assumptions for the festival in its entirety for use in informing budgets and contracts.
- Partner with General Management to ensure accurate budgetary and contractual representation of the Festival Director’s vision.
- Coordinate and participate in UTR design, planning, review and archiving activities
- Manage artist engagement and relationships throughout the year alongside Director of UTR
- Provide logistical support to Devised Theater Working Group (DTWG) leader and program, including artist selection and communication; planning calendars, etc.
- Oversee Public Theater department relationships
- Manage project grants and other funding partnerships
- Manage UTR venue partner relationships in coordination with General Management
- Oversee budget and accounts payable of UTR festival and program and Devised Theater Working Group (DTWG)
Competencies and Skills:
- Comprehensive understanding of presenting field nationally and internationally.
- Comprehensive understanding of Public Theater mission, strategy and programming
- Experience with quick and iterative project modeling and budgeting
- Comprehensive understanding of international taxation, visas, and funding strategies
- Creative development skills – the ability to communicate with artists and creative teams in a successful manner
- Cultural Competence: The ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds
- Ability to manage among multiple concurrent projects with competing and unpredictable schedules
- Communication skills: particularly public relations/public speaking
- Budget management skills
- Performance management skills
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is an exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Position is available immediately.
Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jobs…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.