Part Time Teaching Artist
The Highwood Theatre
Silver Spring, MD 20910
General Theatre Teachers and Directors (Part-Time)
The Highwood Theatre Inc. – Silver Spring, MD
The Highwood Theatre is a non-profit organization dedicated to building community through innovative, inclusive theatre and arts programs at our home in downtown Silver Spring and in schools throughout the DC metropolitan area. www.thehighwoodtheatre.org.
The Highwood Theatre produces 12-13 professional and student mainstage productions annually, along with bi-monthly improv comedy nights and other studio events, in addition to student classes, private lessons, summer camps, and extensive work in over 40 schools. Entering its 16th season, Highwood’s physical plant includes two black box theatres, rehearsal spaces, technical theatre spaces, and offices in downtown Silver Spring.
Teaching Artists report to the Director of Highwood at School, who oversees all arts education programing on-site and in schools.
- Oversee, create lesson/workshop plans, and/or lead school productions and classes in various performing arts areas. Theatre classes may concentrate on one of many general areas (e.g. Improv, Playwriting, Shakespeare, Acting) and must be suitably tailored to students in grades K-12
- Ensure all participants in and customers for classes or programs are happy, supported, and smoothly working within the organization and community
- Responsible for ensuring that the opinions of all in the group are heard and taken into consideration. We believe students are more engaged and higher performing when they are given responsibility and a creative voice
- Collaborate with students, parents, and/or school representatives in achieving their desired outcomes, while still maintaining Highwood’s welcoming environment
- Must successfully maintain Highwood mission across all programming
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask and work under deadlines
- Extensive theatrical training or experience, with a background in and passion for educational theatre
- Must be extremely organized, proactive, and be able to think creatively under pressure.
- Ability to lead groups of all backgrounds to achieve their highest potential
- Appreciation for Highwood’s Mission and an interest in the Organization
Availability: Must be available a minimum of three afternoons a week – between the hours of 2:30 and 6:30. Additional evening availability on a minimum of two afternoons a week (between the hours of 6:00 and 9:00 PM) is desirable. Compensation amounts vary by program; some are hourly, some are stipend. Reliable transportation required. Work will be located in downtown Silver Spring, MD and/or other off-site locations in Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, DC, and/or Fairfax County.
To apply, please send cover letter & resume to email address listed below.
April 1, 2019 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to Ldaingerfield…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.