Directors/Production Staff Needed for Criminal Queerness Festival
National Queer Theater
New York, NY
National Queer Theater seeks directors & production team members for the Criminal Queerness Festival taking place during WorldPride 2019. The four plays being showcased are from international LGBTQ+ writers whose gender and sexuality are criminalized in their home countries.
– Directors: 1 director per show
– Designers: Each designer will design for all four shows (Sets/Props, Costume, Lighting, Sound)
– Stage Manager: 1 stage manager for the whole festival
– Adam A Elsayigh’s DROWNING IN CAIRO follows the friendships of three gay men in Egypt who were arrested in the Queen Boat nightclub raid of 2001
– Nick Hadikwa Mwaluko’s WAAFRIKA 123 explores the forbidden love between nonbinary Awino and a Peace Corps volunteer in 1990’s Kenya
– Fatima Maan’s JHAANJAR DI PAANWAAN CHHANKAAR tells the story of a blind man and his intriguing new next door neighbor in Pakistan
– Chinese playwright Yilong Liu’s play JOKER focuses on a Filipino gay writer and activist whose straight marriage in Hawaii is rocked by a visit from an old friend
– Rehearsals are planned to begin in mid-April 2019
– Tech for first show begins Monday, June 10th, 2019, with each show following each week after
– Educational talkbacks and expert panels will follow each performance led by artists and advocates.
– Festival runs June 13th, 2019 – July 7th, 2019
National Queer Theater is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster and support LGBTQ communities through social justice in the performing arts. By producing socially-conscious plays about issues in the community, the theater raises awareness about LGBTQ rights in the general public. Through partnership-based education programs, National Queer Theater teaches acting and storytelling skills to underserved groups in the LGBTQ community to instill pride and promote creative leadership. Learn more at nationalqueertheater.org.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume with ‘FIRST NAME LAST NAME- POSITION’ (Ex. ‘John Smith – Stage Manager’, ‘Jane Doe – Sets/Props Designer’) in the subject line to [email protected]. Please be sure to include any experience with international work and queer theater.
National Queer Theater is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment by encouraging those who identify as any of the following to submit an application: queer, trans/gender nonconforming, person of color, immigrant, and differently-abled.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to info…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.