Director of Marketing & Audience Development
New York, NY 10018
Primary Stages seeks a dynamic, energetic, and dedicated marketing professional for the full-time position of Director of Marketing & Audience Development. The position is responsible for the strategic leadership and implementation of the Primary Stages marketing, communication, and audience development activities for our productions, education programs, and access/engagement initiatives.
Since our founding, Primary Stages has endeavored to be a home for staff, artists, and audiences alike. A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion are paramount to how we create an environment where our community can continually return and feel welcome. We also are collectively committed to a constant expansion and reimagining of who we are as an organization, how we work, and what we can become. We look forward to welcoming a new collaborator who will join us on our mission of being a radically welcoming home in sharing, supporting, and inspiring the art of playwriting.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s Senior Staff and collaboratively determine the company’s strategic direction in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
- Provide leadership for in-house marketing department, consultants, vendors, and others.
- Oversee audience research, subscription renewals/acquisitions, single ticket sales strategies and promotion of readings, workshops, and other programs as needed.
- Work with the General Manager and Executive Director to set pricing, develop sales goals, set timelines, and create marketing expense budgets and reports.
- Manage organizational branding, working with all departments on the design and creation (in-house) of production “playbills”, as well as all other marketing material.
- Develop and lead initiatives to cultivate new audiences via special programming, as well as build community relations and oversee group sales strategies.
- Oversee and ensure exceptional customer service to patrons at levels of interaction.
- Oversee the social media presence for both Primary Stages and Primary Stages ESPA.
- Lead all press initiatives in conjunction with the Press Representatives.
- Work closely with the Education and Engagement Department to support and promote its programs, including planning, implementing, and directing the marketing efforts of the Einhorn School of Performing Arts (ESPA).
- In collaboration with the Development Department, plan, direct, and implement the marketing, communications, and public relations efforts for all Primary Stages fundraising programs.
- Oversee the execution of all advertising, including digital/electronic, direct mail, print, and broadcast, as well as copywriting, editing, and proofreading all marketing collateral.
- Serving on various Board committees, including the Audience Development Committee.
- This position reports to the Executive Director, and works in close cooperation with the Artistic Director.
Desirable Attributes and Interests:
- An innovative leader who is willing to think creatively and push the boundaries of traditional marketing and audience development.
- Demonstrated strategic and leadership experience at a senior level, including experience leading a team.
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and a willingness to examine how these core principles can be supported and expanded through marketing and audience development.
- Budgeting, financial management, and negotiation skills.
- Strong design skills. Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop preferred, but not required.
- Strong organizational, management, planning, writing, and communication skills, including experience building community relationships and developing audiences.
- A collaborative spirit with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience with NYC theater, Off-Broadway, and theater generally is preferred.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Marketing, Arts Management, or related field or commensurate experience. 5+ years of experience in Marketing, Communications, or related field.
Work is performed in an office environment and is mainly sedentary in nature. The job will include talking, sitting, hearing, and repetitive movement associated with keyboarding. Occasional visits to the theater, rehearsals, and off-site events are required.
Primary Stages is an Off-Broadway not-for-profit theater company dedicated to inspiring, supporting, and sharing the art of playwriting. Since our founding in 1984, we have produced more than 135 new plays and have garnered numerous awards and nominations. We have developed and produced work by A.R. Gurney, Theresa Rebeck, Kate Hamill, Billy Porter, Charles Busch, Tanya Saracho, Sharon Washington, Horton Foote (including the Tony nominated Dividing the Estate), David Ives, Donald Margulies, Terrence McNally, and produced the original productions of In Transit (James Allen-Ford, Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Russ Kaplan, and Sara Wordsworth), which transferred to Broadway in 2016, and Danai Gurira and Nikkole Salter’s In the Continuum, which went on to tour the U.S., Africa, and Scotland.
Beyond our productions, Primary Stages supports playwrights and develops new works through commissions, workshops, readings, and our education, access, and training programs such as the Dorothy Strelsin New American Writers Group, the Primary Plus Developmental reading series, the Einhorn School of Performing Arts (ESPA), Teenwrights, our Free Student Matinee Program, the Internship Program, TixTeen, PS35, and the Primary Stages Off-Broadway Oral History Project.
This is a full-time position with salary, commensurate based on experience, and benefits package included.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND START DATE:
This position is available immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a strong preference that submissions be received no later than Monday, January 7th.
To apply, please send your resumé and a letter that outlines your qualifications for the position, including relevant experience and salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Primary Stages is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity in accordance with local, city, state, and Federal law. Primary Stages does not discriminate in the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on account of race, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, or differences in abilities unrelated to job performance. We encourage those from groups that are under-represented in the theater field to apply for all positions.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to jobs…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.