Master Carpenter at Bay Street Theater
Bay Street Theater
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
MASTER CARPENTER AT BAY STREET THEATER
Bay Street Theater & the Sag Harbor Center for the Arts is a year-round, not-for-profit professional theater and community cultural center which endeavors to innovate, educate, and entertain a diverse community through the practice of the performing arts. We serve as a social and cultural gathering place, an educational resource, and a home for a community of artists. Bay Street Theater (BST) strives to be a home to the East End’s performing arts community, as well as a professional LORT summer theater festival. The BST mainstage season features the mounting of 3-4 full theatrical or musical productions, weekly comedy events and musical concerts, Bay Street Under the Stars annual outdoor production, an annual fundraising Gala, an intern produced performance, arts education workshops and camps for children, Goat on a Boat puppet theater performances, and much more. Check out Bay Street’s website for more info about this season’s programming: www.baystreet.org.
The Master Carpenter (MC) is responsible for assisting in the scenic/carpentry shop which includes overseeing all operations on the shop floor as well as the (3) Carpentry Interns. The Carpentry/Scenic Department is responsible for providing scenery and related carpentry support to three mainstage shows, concerts, outdoor productions, and any other special events requiring scenic support. The MC will help with all carpentry/scenic related functions to ensure that productions come in on-time and on-budget. This position requires regular evening and weekend work in conjunction with BST’s performance calendar.
This salaried position reports to the Technical Director & Assistant Technical Director. The MC position will begin work with limited coordination (remotely) in Spring 2019 as needed and is on-site, full-time in Sag Harbor, NY ideally from May 13, 2019 – September 8, 2019. Housing is provided for the duration of on-site work. The fee is $375/week.
The MC’s responsibilities will include:
– Set up carpentry shops for beginning of season, communicating with Production Manager regarding any general shop and supplies needs.
– Restore carpentry shops at the end of the season, including updating the stock item inventory and re-stocking general supplies and materials.
– Guide and supervise the overall educational experience of Carpentry/Scenic Interns through regular feedback and three individual review sessions over the course of the season.
– Determine and meet scenic deadlines in conjunction with TD & ATD.
– Attend tech rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and previews for notes.
– Assist with scenic needs for other summer season programs including Music Mondays, Bay Street Under the Stars readings, the New Works Festival, and others special events/projects.
– Help supervise and support the design and execution of the Scenic Interns’ contribution to the Intern Production.
– The MC must bring their own computer to access drawings and show information.
– Candidates should be self-motivated, have a positive attitude, work safely, efficiently, and quickly and exhibit professional behavior at all times.
– Strong organizational skills are required with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with occasional non-traditional hours.
– Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs., climb ladders, and work in high places.
– Ideal candidate would have a valid driver’s license and vehicle.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume PDF’s to Mike Billings, Production Manager at [email protected]. Please make sure to include “BST 2019 Master Carpenter” in the subject line. Please no phone calls.
May 13, 2019 – September 8, 2019
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to mike…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.