Lighting Supervisor at Bay Street Theater
Bay Street Theater
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
LIGHTING SUPERVISOR AT BAY STREET THEATER
Bay Street Theater & the Sag Harbor Center for the Arts is a year-round, not-for-profit professional theater and community cultural center which endeavors to innovate, educate, and entertain a diverse community through the practice of the performing arts. We serve as a social and cultural gathering place, an educational resource, and a home for a community of artists. Bay Street Theater (BST) strives to be a home to the East End’s performing arts community, as well as a professional LORT summer theater festival. The BST mainstage season features the mounting of 3-4 full theatrical or musical productions, weekly comedy events and musical concerts, Bay Street Under the Stars annual outdoor production, an annual fundraising Gala, an intern produced performance, arts education workshops and camps for children, Goat on a Boat puppet theater performances, and much more. Check out Bay Street’s website for more info about this season’s programming: www.baystreet.org.
The Lighting Supervisor (LS) is responsible for managing day-to-day of the lighting/electrics department which includes coordinating with the lighting designers, supervising the hang/circuiting/focus of the light plots including coordinating rentals, maintaining and striking the light plots and venue inventory. The Lighting Department is responsible for providing lighting and related electrics support to three mainstage shows, concerts, outdoor productions, and any other special events requiring scenic support. This position is responsible for maintaining expense budgets, communicating closely with designers and design assistants, and hiring and supervising lighting personnel. The LS will act as the team leader that supports all lighting-related functions to ensure that productions come in on-time and on-budget. This position requires regular evening and weekend work in conjunction with BST’s performance calendar.
This salaried position reports to the Production Manager and General Manager. The LS position will begin work with limited coordination (remotely) in Spring 2019 as needed and is on-site, full-time in Sag Harbor, NY ideally from May 6, 2019 – September 8, 2019. Housing is provided for the duration of on-site work. The LS directly oversees the Master Electrician and 3 Lighting Interns. The fee is $750/week.
The LS’s responsibilities will include:
– Work with General Manager and Production Manager to interview and hire lighting staff and interns.
– Set up lighting shop for beginning of season, communicating with Production Manager regarding any general shop and supplies needs.
– Restore lighting shop at the end of the season, including updating the stock item inventory and re-stocking general supplies and materials.
– Guide and supervise the overall educational experience of Lighting Interns through regular feedback and three individual review sessions over the course of the season.
– Consult closely with Designers and Design Assistants to ensure design completion and labor efficiency.
– Determine and meet lighting deadlines in conjunction with Production Manager and production schedule.
– Manage the budget and accounting of lighting-related expenditures including collection and coding of all receipts and invoices.
– Works directly with Lighting Designers to balance budget necessities, feasibility, and design integrity.
– Report regularly to General Manager and Production Manager regarding budget tracking progress and concerns.
– Attend tech rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and previews for notes.
– Communicate regularly with Production Stage Manager regarding notes and fixes.
– Attend all necessary production meetings as determined by the Production Manager.
– Oversee lighting needs for other summer season programs including Music Mondays, Bay Street Under the Stars readings, the New Works Festival, and others special events/projects.
– Oversee and support the design and execution of the Lighting Interns’ contribution to the Intern Production.
– The LS must be proficient in Vectorworks, Lightwright, and ETC ION Lighting Consoles.
– The LS must bring their own computer to create drawings and manage projects.
– Candidates should be self-motivated, have a positive attitude, work safely, efficiently, and quickly and exhibit professional behavior at all times.
– Strong organizational skills are required with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with occasional non-traditional hours.
– Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs., climb ladders, and work in high places.
– Ideal candidate would have a valid driver’s license and vehicle.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume PDF’s to Mike Billings, Production Manager at email@example.com. Please make sure to include “BST 2019 Lighting Supervisor” in the subject line. Please no phone calls.
May 6, 2019 – September 8, 2019
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to mike…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.