Assistant Costume Shop Supervisor at Bay Street Theater
Bay Street Theater
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
ASST. COSTUME SHOP SUPERVISOR AT BAY STREET THEATER
Bay Street Theater & the Sag Harbor Center for the Arts is a year-round, not-for-profit professional theater and community cultural center which endeavors to innovate, educate, and entertain a diverse community through the practice of the performing arts. We serve as a social and cultural gathering place, an educational resource, and a home for a community of artists. Bay Street Theater (BST) strives to be a home to the East End’s performing arts community, as well as a professional LORT summer theater festival. The BST mainstage season features the mounting of 3-4 full theatrical or musical productions, weekly comedy events and musical concerts, Bay Street Under the Stars annual outdoor production, an annual fundraising Gala, an intern produced performance, arts education workshops and camps for children, Goat on a Boat puppet theater performances, and much more. Check out Bay Street’s website for more info about this season’s programming: www.baystreet.org.
Asst. Costume Shop Supervisor (ACSS) is responsible for assisting the Costume Shop Supervisor, which includes the areas of costumes, wigs, and makeup, along with overseeing wardrobe supervision for the run and maintenance of all performances. Assisting the Costume Shop Supervisor includes, but is not limited to, personnel, draping and construction, equipment, supplies, inventory, workroom/costume storage areas, and costume rentals. The ACSS will assist with all costume-related functions to ensure that productions come in on-time and on-budget. This position requires regular evening and weekend work in conjunction with BST’s performance calendar.
This salaried position reports to the Costume Shop Supervisor. The ACSS position will begin work with limited coordination (remotely) in Spring 2019 as needed and is on-site, full-time in Sag Harbor, NY ideally from May 6, 2019 – September 8, 2019. Housing is provided for the duration of on-site work. The fee is $375/week.
The ACSS’s general responsibilities will include:
– Assist Costume Shop Supervisor with any hiring needs.
– Assist with setting-up costume shop and wardrobe areas for beginning of season, communicating with Production Manager regarding any general shop and supplies needs.
– Assist with restoring costume shop at the end of the season, including updating the stock item inventory and re-stocking general supplies and materials.
– Assist with supervising the overall educational experience of Wardrobe Interns through regular feedback and three individual review sessions over the course of the season.
– Assist with supervising all costume shop, wardrobe, wig, and makeup personnel.
– Assist with consulting with Designers and Design Assistants on the draping and construction of costumes to ensure design completion and labor efficiency.
– Assist with overseeing the rental process for outside costumes including restoration, cleaning, and return at the conclusion of each show.
– Assist with meeting costume/wardrobe deadlines in conjunction with Production Manager and production schedule.
– Assisting with all fittings to ensure consistency and construction standards.
– Assisting with the budget and accounting of costume/wardrobe related expenditures including collection and coding of all receipts and invoices.
– Assisting with meeting with Costume Designers to balance budget necessities, feasibility, and design integrity.
– Assisting with reporting regularly to General Manager and Production Manager regarding budget tracking progress and concerns.
– Assisting with overseeing all returns in a timely fashion.
– Attend tech rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and previews for notes.
– Assisting with regular communication with Production Stage Manager regarding fittings, rehearsal needs, and performer requests.
– Assisting with overseeing the wardrobe crew and costume maintenance of all Mainstage and supplemental productions for costumes, wigs, and makeup during run.
– Attending all necessary production meetings as determined by the Production Manager.
– Assisting with overseeing costume, wardrobe, and soft good needs for other summer season programs including Music Mondays, Bay Street Under the Stars readings, the New Works Festival, and others special events/projects.
– Assisting with overseeing and support the design and execution of the Wardrobe Intern’s contribution to the Intern Production.
– The ACSS must bring their own computer to create drawings and manage projects.
– Candidates should be self-motivated, have a positive attitude, work safely, efficiently, and quickly and exhibit professional behavior at all times.
– Strong organizational skills are required with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with occasional non-traditional hours.
– Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs., climb ladders, and work in high places.
– Ideal candidate would have a valid driver’s license and vehicle.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume PDF’s to Mike Billings, Production Manager at [email protected] Please make sure to include “BST 2019 Assistant Costume Shop Supervisor” in the subject line. Please no phone calls.
May 6, 2019 – September 8, 2019
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to mike…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.