Paper Mill Playhouse
MILLBURN, NJ 07041
Paper Mill Playhouse, recipient of the 2016 Regional Theatre Tony Award, is in search of a full-time, Technical Supervisor.
DATE: January 1, 2019
POSITION: Technical Supervisor Full Time / with Benefits REPORTS TO: Laura Green / Director of Production
Technical Supervisor Position:
Under the direction of the Director of Production, the Technical Supervisor serves as a key member of Paper Mill’s Production Department. The Technical Supervisor works closely with the design and creative teams for each production, facilitating communication with scenic, prop, electrics and sound shops, Local 21 stagehands and PMP management.
Administrative responsibilities require regular 8-hour Monday through Friday daytime office hours and operational activities late nights and weekends. Responsibilities extend to the PMP Main Stage, all areas backstage, and PMP Warehouse. Local travel is required on a regular basis.
– Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent form of Education
– Ten years of technical theatre experience with 5 years in a supervisory position.
– Experience in regional and/or touring theatre and union contracts; in both business office and artistic environments.
– Excellent work ethic, including but not limited to: time and work management, self-motivation, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
– Ability to communicate professionally, effectively and consistently both in person and in written correspondence; and to run efficient and productive meetings.
– Proficiency on PC using Outlook, Excel, Word, AutoCad, etc.
– Ability to create and maintain comprehensive and accurate budgets and paperwork.
– Familiarity with scenic drafting and building techniques as well as rigging, lighting, projections, effects, and sound equipment and specifications.
– Some design experience preferred.
– Valid Driver’s License and clean DMV report required
– Assist the Director of Production with the budgeting and production scheduling for PMP Main Stage productions, PMP Education Department activities, facility rentals, and any/all other PMP events.
– Maintain a working knowledge of the budget and with the Director of Production to ensure that the production is delivered on budget. Pro-actively seek suggestions for economies and manage cost-effectiveness for physical production elements and all related labor costs.
– Create, track, and analyze stagehand labor budgets for all Main Stage productions and events.
– Provide all physical production information, drawings, specs, renderings, etc. to PMP IATSE Heads of Department
– Provide supportive supervision, communication, and resources to PMP IATSE crew. Work with crew to ensure that each physical production will function as required and that all mechanical and specialized equipment is ready to operate.
– Achieve and maintain an understanding of artistic objectives for each show and provide input on design as well as technical advice and guidance to shops and crew.
– Set all work calls for Local 21 stagehands.
– Establish and approve weekly payroll for Local 21stagehands.
– Establish Main Stage production season design deadlines.
– Coordinate with designers to ensure all design deadlines are met.
– Coordinate vendor bidding and negotiate rentals and purchases.
– Track vendor bids and create documentation for analysis and comparison.
– Coordinate the build schedule with scenic and prop shops to ensure deadlines are met.
– Oversee the build process to ensure that designs are carried out as specified by the designer and meet PMP safety standards.
– Coordinate show sequencing and staffing needs with the Director of Production, Director and Stage Management.
– Oversee pre-production, load-ins, load-outs, technical rehearsals, preview performances and production meetings to ensure creative notes are achieved and process stays on budget & schedule
– Arrange and coordinate all trucking needs for rehearsals, load ins/outs, vendor deliveries, etc.
– Maintain inventories of all rental packages in storage at PMP warehouse.
– Arrange and coordinate all cross-loads and shipping of all rental packages.
– Advance and supervise all PMP events and activities to ensure that technical needs are met.
– Supervise the organization and maintenance of PMP warehouse and storage areas.
– Supervise the maintenance of machinery, equipment, tools, shop facilities and repairs.
– Manage personnel safety and uphold safety protocols within the department. Institute and participate in all required safety training.
– Maintain the organization of the server filing system of the PMP Production Department for all documentation.
– Collaborate with the Director of Production in planning general production operations.
– Other responsibilities as assigned
This is a full-time salaried position with competitive benefits.
Paper Mill is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ability are encouraged to apply.
Please send resumes with references to:
Anne Pollock, Human Resources Manager
[email protected] or Fax: 973-315-1424
No phone calls please
December 28, 2018 –
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY BY PHONE
APPLY BY FAX
APPLY BY EMAIL
Send e-mail to 00000167-f6a3-d1e1-ab7f-f7ffd6590000…
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.