Lotte Lenya Competition
Kurt Weill Foundation for Music, Inc.
NY, NY 10003
In 1998, to honor the centenary of the birth of Lotte Lenya (1898-1981), an extraordinary singer/actress and one of the foremost interpreters of the music of her husband, Kurt Weill(1900-1950), the Kurt Weill Foundation for Music established an annual Lotte Lenya Competition.
The Lotte Lenya Competition recognizes talented singer/actors of all nationalities, ages 19-32, who are dramatically and musically convincing in repertoire ranging from opera/operetta to contemporary Broadway scores, including the works of Kurt Weill.
Total prizes exceed $75,000; individual prizes range from $500 (semi-finals) to $20,000 (finals).
- Applications & audition videos due 21 January 2019 (online)
- Semi-Final auditions 7-8 March 2019, New York, NY
- Final auditions 13 April 2019, Rochester, NY
Open to singer/actors of all nationalities, ages 19–32 (born after 14 April 1986 and before 22 January 2000).
Contestants must prepare four selections, total duration not to exceed 15 minutes:
- A selection from the operatic or operetta repertoire;
- A theatrical selection (any genre) by Kurt Weill;
- A song from the “Golden Age” (pre-1968) American musical theater repertoire; and
- A song from the American musical theater repertoire of 1968 or later.
Complete information and online application available at www.kwf.org/llc
January 21, 2019 – April 13, 2019
HOW TO APPLY